• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Performance Unchanged with Aftermarket Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3|ink

Registered
I recently bought and installed an aftermarket cooler for my 1070. Basically the card was throttling hard. I couldn't clock it past 1600. It kept hitting my 83c ceiling (which I set in MSI Afterburner).

The aftermarket cooler is keeping the GPU very cool. It doesn't get past 63 in games with the GPU overclocked to 2,000 mhz. However, performance has not improved. My FPS did not go up one bit.

One concern I have is that the backplate on the aftermarket cooler does not cover all of the hot spots. See image below. Is it possible that my card is underperforming because other parts of the card are getting too hot (namely the parts not fully covered by the backplate?)

ETA: I can move the backplate to cover up the hot spots that are currently not covered, but then other hot spots will be exposed. I've already positioned the backplate so the lowest overall area of hotspots are exposed.

IMG_0491.jpg

The backplate likely isnt the issue here.

What resolution do you game at? Cpu? Specs? Please list that stuff... :)

The backplate likely isnt the issue here.

What resolution do you game at? Cpu? Specs? Please list that stuff... :)

Thanks. I'm relieved to hear it probably isn't the backplate.

CPU: i7 6800k OC'ed to 4.2ghz (base 3.4 ghz)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4
RAM: 32g @ 3.0 mhz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
PSU: Corsair TX 750
Monitors: 1 x LG 32" 144hz 2k and 1x LG 32" 60hz 4k
Windows 10 (performance mode on)

I game at 1080p in BFV and PUBG. I don't change any of the other settings. (DX12 is off in BFV.)

Something has got to be bottle-necking my system. Last night I decided to try an experiment. I reduced the clock speed on my CPU and video card to their base speeds and there was no discernible change in performance. I got about the same FPS in BFV (average 65).

My laptop is performing significantly better than my desktop even though it has inferior specs (i7-8750H, GTX 1060 Max-Q). I average about 90 FPS on the laptop and I can't even average 70 on my desktop. I suppose the CPU on my desktop is a little weaker but I can't imagine that makes this much of a difference.

Part of me just wants to give up and buy a new CPU, motherboard and video card. I've been at this for days and nothing seems to be working. At the same time I don't want to give up until I've seen my system's full potential, and I'm convinced I haven't seen it yet. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
Vsync is a display option found in some 3-D computer games that allow the gamer to synchronize the frame rate of the game with the monitor refresh rate for better stability. If the Vsync is turned off, gamers might obtain a higher frame rate but this action may introduce artifacts in the game.

Turn off in nvcp

download and install msi afterburner
set cpu and gpu usage to show in onscreen display, game it and watch the gpu usage and tell us what it is please.

Thanks. I'm relieved to hear it probably isn't the backplate.

CPU: i7 6800k OC'ed to 4.2ghz (base 3.4 ghz)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4
RAM: 32g @ 3.0 mhz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
PSU: Corsair TX 750
Monitors: 1 x LG 32" 144hz 2k and 1x LG 32" 60hz 4k
Windows 10 (performance mode on)

I game at 1080p in BFV and PUBG. I don't change any of the other settings. (DX12 is off in BFV.)

Something has got to be bottle-necking my system. Last night I decided to try an experiment. I reduced the clock speed on my CPU and video card to their base speeds and there was no discernible change in performance. I got about the same FPS in BFV (average 65).

My laptop is performing significantly better than my desktop even though it has inferior specs (i7-8750H, GTX 1060 Max-Q). I average about 90 FPS on the laptop and I can't even average 70 on my desktop. I suppose the CPU on my desktop is a little weaker but I can't imagine that makes this much of a difference.

Part of me just wants to give up and buy a new CPU, motherboard and video card. I've been at this for days and nothing seems to be working. At the same time I don't want to give up until I've seen my system's full potential, and I'm convinced I haven't seen it yet. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

How does the laptop do Hooked up to the 32" monitors?

download and install msi afterburner
set cpu and gpu usage to show in onscreen display, game it and watch the gpu usage and tell us what it is please.

GPU is consistently 98-99%

CPU ranges from low 40s to high 50s

This is on BFV

From those reading it looks like the processor and video card is working efficiently with full power.

Darn. I was afraid of that. I guess that means that I'm simply not getting the performance I want out of my current build. So I need to upgrade and/or replace.

Between the video card and the CPU, which do you think is the weakest link? My concern is that if I upgrade one or the other, I won't see much improvement in performance. So I might be better off just replacing both. I understand that will require a new motherboard and possibly PSU.

You have a good Processor and it's only running at 40-50%. So the Video card is running at 98-99% holding the FPS back. I would upgrade to a used GTX 1080ti and you will see a good improvement. If you went to RTX 2080ti I would upgrade the processor. With my 6 core processor I upgraded to RTX 2070 and see a 30% improvement in BF V compared to the GTX 1070.

You have a good Processor and it's only running at 40-50%. So the Video card is running at 98-99% holding the FPS back. I would upgrade to a used GTX 1080ti and you will see a good improvement. If you went to RTX 2080ti I would upgrade the processor. With my 6 core processor I upgraded to RTX 2070 and see a 30% improvement in BF V compared to the GTX 1070.

Thanks but in that case I'm going all out. i-7 9700k. RTX 2080 (not ti). Now I just need to find a good motherboard and maybe a new PSU.

How much are you wanting to spend on a motherboard? Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140mm Size Power Supply is a good PSU.

If it was me I would just purchase the RTX 2080 first and find out if that is all you need with your 6 core.

Last edited:
I have to agree with wingman, you don't "need" a cpu change you need more gpu.
try reducing the msaa, post aa and super sampling and give it a try.

How much are you wanting to spend on a motherboard? Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140mm Size Power Supply is a good PSU.

If it was me I would just purchase the RTX 2080 first and find out if that is all you need with your 6 core.

Thanks. I'll get the 2080 tomorrow and see how that works out.

Back