• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Water Block Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

I just got into water cooling like 4 months ago and I don't own a VGA water block because my load temperatures are always in the "average" range and I never bothered GPU overclocking. My friend however, wants to get a water block and do some overclockingbut neither of us know what ones are good or what ones would be compatible with his GPU/Motherboard since we see a lot of incompatibilities. His Maxmius V Formula will be getting replaced but, it will all eventually be the same. He EVENTUALLY within the next 6 months or so wants to get a gtx 780 TI so if there's any block out there that would be compatible with both of those, it'd be great otherwise, I'm going to be recommending he get a r9 290x since we're sticking with the same manufacturer. The reason he's waiting 6 months is finances, could always loan him the money though if there's no way we can get a block compatible with two cards. There's no reason to buy a gpu block then 6 months later have to buy a totally different/new one. It would be appreciated if we could get something compatible from this site:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30...-Water_Blocks_VGA-VGA_Water_Blocks-Page1.html

Because we live less than 3 hours away from their warehouse and can get next day shipping for like $9. Or drive down and pick it up the same day for like $25 in gas. If nothing's compatible here, just recommend anything that'll work with our mobo/gpu and I'll try to find the cheapest place to get it.

I'm also confused on how it's going to work with our kit (Raystorm AX240) . I know we need barbs/tubing and compression fittings but how they're going to fit into the waterblock,pump, or reservoir or what extra parts we're going to need I've no idea. Like I said, I've only been doing this for 4 months and he just started 2 days ago.

Specs:

ASUS Maximus V Formula
Raystorm AX240 Kit
ASUS Radeon HD 7970 Being eventually upgraded to either 780 TI or 290x

780ti was just released. I am not sure any blocks are out for that card unless the 780 blocks fit. May be best to look at this in 6 months when he has the money and there are blocks out in the wild...

Yeah,that's true, since he isn't going to get a motherboard change anyway. If he sticks with his 3770k over the next couple of years there'd be no point in changing mobos, especially when the maximus V overclocks so well and the Maximus VI is for a totally different socket.

I didn't think there would be compatibility cross manufacturers either. There was no point at all to get a waterblock in a month (it's going to take him almost a month to get his motherboard replaced by ASUS), then 5 months later or whenever he can afford the 780 ti, have to get another block that's compatible with that. No point and a waste of money. I'll post back if he wants to get one anyway but, I personally don't see the point.

Welcome to OCFs!

First and foremost do you guys know how much heat will be generated in the loop. The kit you have now won't be enough for a CPU + GPU. As for a CPU loop that kit is just fine.

There are waterblocks in the work for the 780Ti but some have said its possible the standard 780/titan blocks might fit as well but not sure. You can check with XSPC, Swiftech, Auqa Computers and Koolance to name a few. For me personally I like full waterblocks that not only cool the GPU but also the VRMs for OCing. You could take a look at universal blocks but you'll need a way to have some air flow to the rest of the PCB.

Is the case big enough to hold all the additions to the loop?

Is there enough airflow for the radiators?

Are you guys going for silent operations with great delta temps?

Any additions to the loop will increase the budget.

Please take your time in our liquid cooling stickies and have a read with your friend to get a better understanding and know where you guys want to head with this.

Back