• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Great horny toads!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zombie

Registered
Someone throw me a life raft here! I'm overclocking a celery 566@850, and my cpu temp is way too high. I started out using a generic slotket with a gold orb and the temp was about normal at idle...around 32 degrees. I switched to a Abit slotket with the same gold orb..temp went up to around 52 degrees, and hit 60 once under load. Bought a Global Win FOP 32 (which was a major pain in the *** to get hooked, AND lost a stick of ram in the process) and added a copper shim w/ crappy silicon grease. Got a slight drop, but nothing real impressive. I can get it up to 104 FSB @1.85 V- stable (at the moment) but the heat problem has me paranoid. I've tried everything I can possibly think of to lower the temp. Do you guys have any suggestions, because I'm stumped !?
Thanks!

p.s.- Yup, i made sure the heatsink is sitting flat on the cpu. :)

Sysyem specs (all, just in case):
(300W ps)
Abit BE6-2 mobo
Maxtor 27 gig HD
192 megs PC-100 (now, grr)
Celery 566@850 on Abit slotket,
set to auto for FSB, set to
1.85 for default voltage
VooDoo3 2000
Netgear Network card
Creative SB 512
Generic 56 X cd rom
Acer8x4x32 cdrw

enough info? lol

1)better case cooling
2)bigger fan on heatsink
3)Arctic Silver Themal Compound
4)Liquid cooling if needed

When you seem to have hit a wall always go back to the basics . . . . . .

I had the same kind of problem with my P3. I have a collection of heat sink and fans on my closet shelf to prove it. Then I got an Antec SX830 case and boy was I suprised. This case lowered my CPU temp to about 35c under a full load and my case temp is the same as ambeint room temp. My P3 600 is doing 840 with a Globol Win VOS-32 on it. The case comes with 2 80mm exauhst fans and places for 2 80mm intakes which I have added.

Great horny toads! / Update

Now explain this one! I dropped my voltage to 7.5, and downloaded Waterfall. It claims to be able to drop your cpu temp as much as 10 degrees celcius, but as soon as i started it up, I watched my cpu tmep drop 30 degrees ! Hardware Doctor and Sandra both report my cpu temp at idle to be 27c ! Under load it got no higher than 36c ! Anyone???

Sounds like you don't have good thermal contact to the heatsink. Once the cpu goes to idle the heat drops fast, but under load it can't cool itself fast enough. Make sure your heatsink is flat, many (especially orbs) are not very flat, and are notorious for poor contact. Clean the surfaces well, and use a very THIN layer of thermal grease if you aren't already. Try to make sure the heatsink is sitting squarely on the cpu. If your heatsink has the thermal 'pad" instead of grease, can it asap and get some grease. Arctic silver is the best I've seen, but good old Radio Shack grease will do if applied properly. The goal is to merely fill the surface imperfections of the die and heatsink. A layer more than a couple of molecules thick will actually act as insulation and impair heat transfer- giving similar symptoms to yours...

Tim

Back