• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD causing reboot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=A][A=-cazman

I've been having a strange problem with my system recently. When I power up it starts to post normally and then I can hear my hard drive trying to spool up or just turn on basically and then my system freezes and it reboots. When it reboots it doesn't even show the 1st part of the post just a black screen and I can hear my hard drive keep trying to power up it sounds like. So after I turn my power off again and boot up it may start to do that noise again and then stop but boot into windows and I have no crashes at all in windows. What I want to know is how I can fix this issue so I don't have to keep turning it on and off so it can boot up?

I'm booting off of one of the Raptor drives and its the one that makes the sound. I also disconnected all my case fans to see if they were causing some issues with the power since they were LED fans but the LED's are dead now (they used to flicker). I've played with the molex connecter to the drive as well but same issue. Everything is at stock right now nothing OC'd. I did try to OC before cuz i'm running at 166FSB and wanted to get to 200FSB but my raptors held me back (thought they had a lock on the PCI bus....but maybe the SATA uses some other way i dunno). But the problem didn't start right after that OC failed. It just started out of the blue and I didn't change anything in my system.

Sys info :
A7N8X-dlx E
Barton 2500+ with sk7 tt2 smartfan
2 x 512 MB HyperX pc3200 11-2-3-2
ATI 9800 pro 128
Lite on DVD-RW
Lite on DVD-ROM
2 WD raptor 36.7
80 gig WD800JB
Antec True 480W PSU
4 x 80mm case fans

Back