• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED HDD LED problem & Fan LED problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aTotallynewGuy

Registered
Hello :)

I wasn't sure in what category to post this :chair:

However. I am currently using the Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper case. After my recent move from a very old Cooler Master CM 690 I have encountered two problems. They are not in any way hindering me from using the computer normally but I alreadu know it's something that's going to bother me for a long time if I don't get it sorted out.

1. My first problem is that the HDD LED does not light up when the harddrive is active. I connected it to the motherboard's HDD LED connector but nothing happens. Anyone got this working? (My motherboard is an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming).

2. The front Fan LED's are connected with a 2-pin male connector. I have no 2-pin female connector on my motherboard or anywhere else for that matter - how do I find this connector? :shrug:
I've checked their website and found this
l0wt1i664eewzze

on this page: http://support.coolermaster.com/entries/21755894-CM-Storm-Trooper-Stryker-Fan-Control-Wiring

Lastly - for the record. I am swedish so sorry for any possible failed grammar or misspellings, I am posting here because I usually get better help here on the US forums. :cool:

The fans plug into the controller on top of the case.

As for the HDD light, are you sure you landed the light on the right pin on the mobo?

Well with a HDD LED, polarity matters, meaning it has a positive and negative that need to be matched in order for the LED to work. Assuming you have found the correct motherboard LED header pins, try flipping the connector 180 degrees to see if that works.
They are Light Emitting Diodes, and Diodes only conduct in one direction within their voltage limits.
Case wires aren't always marked very well for polarity, especially with all black wiring being the new habit....

And don't worry about your grammar, you're doing just fine....better than most American kids do! :)

The fans plug into the controller on top of the case.

As for the HDD light, are you sure you landed the light on the right pin on the mobo?
It's not the fans I have a problem with. It's their LED's that I have a 2pin connector to. I just dont know where to connect it. The fans work with a 3pin connected to the case frontpanel where you can control fanspeed and LED light.

I've looked through a couple of reviews to find them, and it looks like the LED's each have a cable that comes down from the control panel to plug the LED's into, just like the fan power plugs (but smaller).

I've looked through a couple of reviews to find them, and it looks like the LED's each have a cable that comes down from the control panel to plug the LED's into, just like the fan power plugs (but smaller).
Thanks for the time spent helping me. Can you link these reviews and let me look into it? I will be trying again tomorrow, it's very late here :)

Hello :)

I wasn't sure in what category to post this :chair:

However. I am currently using the Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper case. After my recent move from a very old Cooler Master CM 690 I have encountered two problems. They are not in any way hindering me from using the computer normally but I alreadu know it's something that's going to bother me for a long time if I don't get it sorted out.

1. My first problem is that the HDD LED does not light up when the harddrive is active. I connected it to the motherboard's HDD LED connector but nothing happens. Anyone got this working? (My motherboard is an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming).

2. The front Fan LED's are connected with a 2-pin male connector. I have no 2-pin female connector on my motherboard or anywhere else for that matter - how do I find this connector? :shrug:
I've checked their website and found this
l0wt1i664eewzze

on this page: http://support.coolermaster.com/entries/21755894-CM-Storm-Trooper-Stryker-Fan-Control-Wiring

Lastly - for the record. I am swedish so sorry for any possible failed grammar or misspellings, I am posting here because I usually get better help here on the US forums. :cool:

Hey aTotallynewGuy, Welcome to the Overclockers forums :D

The fan led cables that you pictured plug into the "FANS" do not plug them into the motherboard. If you look at the fans in the front or the side (how ever you placed the HDD cages) you'll see the fan power cables and the fan led cables, plug them into the leads from the fan controller. Also there is a black power P4, plug that into a P4 from the Power Supply and your all set to go. Enjoy :thup:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/cm-storm-trooper-review,9.html
It's the 4th picture down. See how there are three wire fan power cables, and two wire LED cables coming from the controller on top? The LED power plugs appear to be of equal length as the fan power wires.

Hope that helps ya!

:attn: I switched polarity and the HDD LED works :) Thanks alot man :bday: I still think it's weird how they put the "HDD LED" text on a different side than all the other connectors, but hey it's all good now! As for the LED on the front fans, it was as easy as finding the connectors. They had been hidden behind the PSU all this time. I had to remove the PSU to get them lose :facepalm:

Thanks to everyone else who answered in this thread aswell

:salute:

Hey that's FANtastic! :)
I hate it when features are so hard to figure out!

Enjoy your new case, and post a picture so we all can enjoy!!

Back