• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heads up for UT2006.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Im excited / disappointed at the same time :-/. I only play UT2004 for how fast pased it is ... with the whole dodgejumping / different moves that are possible. I hear in UT2006 theres not gonna be dodge jumping ><. I hope 2006 dosn't take after Pariah .. *cough* SLOW PASED :rolleyes: I also hear there taking out the lightning gun and minigun ... best 2 weapons for 1v1 .. what is wrong with them? I think I'll hold off 2006 :rolleyes:

Features / General:
# "Envy" is Epic's code name for the next UT.
# Expect UT2004's "bounciness" to be toned down in the next UT.
# The double-jump is back.
# It is possible that "Envy" will not be called "Unreal Tournament 2006" or "Unreal Tournament 2007".
# The game will focus on AI, specifically voice-controlled AI.
# As with many UT2004 levels, the layout of maps in the next UT is being finalized before artwork is incorporated.
# The game will feature a global ratings system that will allow clans to compare scores.
# Gametypes include Onslaught, DM, TDM, CTF, and the all-new Conquest mode. It appears that Assault, Bombing Run and Domination have been dropped.
# Classic map Deck 17 returns in "Envy"! -- "The level we brought in first is called Deck 17 [...] because we knew if we made changes and tweaked the movement, everyone would be able to see the difference and the improvement because they knew what the level felt like before." - Jim Brown
# "We're not trying to make a prettier UT2K4. We're really trying to make a very new game." - Steve Polge
# Epic aims to correct the steep learning curve seen in UT2003/4, making the game enjoyable for newbies and veteran players alike, hence the ability to use your stats to find similarly-skilled opponents
# "People in the lobby can say 'Hey, I want to play a capture-the-flag match on this map.' and you'll set it up from there and boom, you'll all go off and play it." - Steve Polge on in-game lobbies.
# Epic hopes to have deeper community integration in-game for the next UT.
# Envy is still well over a year away from release, with only 3 out of 13 of the "milestones" involved in creating the game currently completed.
# According to Epic, Envy's AI and gameplay are already better than that of UT2004, and most other current titles.
# "Out goal is to make a much better UT than anyone's ever seen." - Steve Polge.
# "Actually, we don't think 2K4 was very successful [...] It wasn't a bad game... I just wish it could have been a better game than it was." - Steve Polge
# "We've paid [...] a lot of attention to what the guys in the community are saying, and we take that feedback to heart." - Jim Brown
# "The original Unreal Tournament was on the threshold of being a great game. If we had done 2K4 without having to feel kind of in the box of what we had started in 2K3, I think it would have been a much better game than it was." - Steve Polge
# "[In UT2004] you miss the feeling you get from being in someone's face and fighting with them." - Jeff Morris

UT2006 Info: http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/future/envy.php

Malcom:
envy4.jpg

Looks incredible with the U3 engine ...

Domination (if I remembered the name correctly) is when players hold control points...

In UT, you had to hold 3 of those points and holding all of them just ment that you gained a ton of points per second... where if you control 2, you don't get many points at all, and if you control 1, you get a really small amount of points. This way, the games that I would play it would go from our team totally dominating one minute to holding nothing the next. So, not only did you have to capture control points in an innovative way but also hold them ALL efficiently.

Newer domination (like in 2k4) has 2 control points and if both points are held by a team, 10 seconds later or so they "win" a point, and the control points reset. I never really liked this gameplay mode.

Rather than bring back the origional awesome domination... domination died... *sigh*

Hey, I'm all for modifing the game physics, weapons, alike... however it would only be welcomed by all if they allowed the game to truely emulate older games. IE, you could run the 2004 mutator and have the game act like 2004. Also, it would be REALLY nice if you could run old rules with old maps version of previous game modes (Domination, etc).

Hey, I can dream, right?

Besides, it will ensure that the game will sell and be played and ejoyed. If everybody hates the new game rules, then nobody would run without putting in the 2004 (etc) mutator... essentially nullifing the rules. It would be a vote by popularity thing then and a good market indicator...

I have to agree with the reduction of super bouncy skills in the UT series. I have great fun jumping around with vehicles and super weapons in large areas, but in small environments the combat is so frantic with lagg added it just plain sucks. Right now I'm favoring Doom 3 multiplayer simply because of the lack of bouncy moving targets.

well speeds the best thing about quake and UT
if they dont have speed... well theyll suck.. we already have counterstrike for a slow game... :/

I've never been a great fan of the UT series.

The only way i can have fun with it is on a LAN with close friends and alot of alcohol. And only for a few hours then.

I hope they don't make it like Ut2003 (which they seem to be hinting at). Many people bought that because of the hype surrounding it's release rather than how good it was. 2004 was great, it felt more like Ut'99 (rather than the failed Quake 3ness of 2003), also the assault and onslaught modes made the game, you didn't need to be in somebodys face with a linkgun when you could crush them in a bender.

UT would suck without the speed, i am personnaly a fan of things like RPG mod that speed the game up even more.

I like the original domination, which seems to be a gametype absent from most games, (except halo2 brought it back with territories)

ut2k4 was much bettter than UT2k3 imo

Its not a hard game to learn, only reason I play this game is for the speed ...slow games make me tired and UT is the only one that stood out. Im already disappointed with the absense of lightning gun / minigun ... -_-.

UT2K4 I think could use a bit less "bounce". I like the original UT better for feel, but Onslaught and vehicles are nice. I wish they'd put back in the original domination style, though. Much better than UT2K4 "double domination". Bombing run rocks too, if only there were more maps. I haven't seen a single custom Bombing Run map since I've had UT2K4...

I've been a long time fan of the UT series. The slowdown will indeed suck, i mean honestly.. doesn't everyone play it for the face paced gameply? I only know of one person thats camped in a UT map, me :D.

But as was quoted above, they did say they were going to try creating a new game instead of a prettier version of UT2k4. It seems they are setting out to do that, and with the U3 engine I think it'll still draw in players that enojyed the UT series as well as new comers. It seems as though they are listening to the community alot on this one as well, which is brilliant if you ask me.

I rather liked the whole fast paced action and weapon switching of UT2k3 over UT2k4, was different to get to used to but its still fun :).

i think the speed in ut2004 is overdone. slowing it down a little willl make the combat more quake2ish, and that was a great game. i hated q3 because of the speed as well.

you need a balance between speed and strategy, not just run around crazily shooting everything you see.

Speed makes UT2004. Strategy is part of any game. UT2004 is not just about pushing buttons and getting lucky. Play a round of Capture the Flag online against some of the better teams - .... some of the people are insanely good. They will translocate above you, switch to the lightning gun in mid air and then head shot you. No joke.... I love the fast paced action.... it just takes time to get good at it :)

-Adrayic

I've got the entire Unreal series on the shelf, both the tournament series and the actual game, and I welcome the reduction of speed a bit.

IMHO the UT2004 level of speed became insane, in the end I really felt I was just zapping from A to Z thwarting people with flack. It has gone far enough, and a reduction of speed will allow the game to become a bit less coincidental.

I'm not saying it should turn into CS or BF, there is a reason why UT is on my shelf.. the space and alien feeling, enormously vivid colouring. I'm much more for the UT environment and feel than many other games, but UT2004 certainly has hit a roof now regarding speed and insanity ;-)

Cheers, Flix

Back