• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat issues!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lugee

i know everyone psots about this.

im having heat issues with my cpu.

im running a Asus A7n8x deluxe with a Sk7 and TTcasefanII on an overclocked barton 2500+ @ 2.2 (11x200). Im also using AS3 and and have it spread correctly.

according to MBM, im running at 147F (about 60C) on load and at 130 idle.

whats going on!!!

as of now, i think tis the way my fans are set up in my computer. 3 in take, 2 out take.

Last edited:
What are the system and ambient (room) temps? At load..:) What does the base of the HS feel like at load temps? Is it hot of warm?

The base of the HS can effect the performance a bit also. IF it is concave or beveled, even marred from machining. I lap a HS to make sure the full flatness and conductivity of it. I went from 50°C - 41° with good TIM and a lapping on stock HS(2400+). :D

what can i use to lap the hs? i know i hsould use sand paper, but is there any other method?

i know thermal right laps their hs very well, and when i received it, i ran my fingernail through it and found no grooves. i think it might be that problem though. ive taken the heatsink off every so often to change cpu's.

When I lap a heatsing iperfer to use a piece of glass, I t gives a nice solid flat suface, but anything that is comparable can be used. For sandpaper, I go with the wet/dry kind. The silica kind is best, cause it dont wear out as fast. For grit there is lots of leway, and controvesy on how high to go, and what grits to use. I went with 600,800,1500, using even pressure. Cleansing every-so often with water to keep the paper clean. Don't forget to clean the HS with a towel, paper/ cloth (up to you, i perfer paper). I heard you can use washsoap to lube it as it will not sand as easily (it will stick) without it. If you use common sence it will come out really nice and polished. Things to watch out for... not getting an even polish, and unlevel results. Try to rotate the work bout every 25 or so up and down motions. Keep an EVEN pressure as you can. I used the wieght of the HS. On the direction of sanding, I went with the up and down strokes (forward and back). Rotating the HS 90° every 25 U/D motions. If you understand how to sharpen a knife then you get the idea. Get it smooth with the lower grit, smooth it with the mid grit and finish with the high grit. The high grit will be the longest part, since you are just using the lower grits to prep for the finishing polish.
Copper sands much faster than aluminum so keep that in mind, if you have a composite metal (two metal) base. And dont oversand/polish, since you are taking material away from the base.
One method I have pondered was how to speed up the process, I threw that idea out, my last lapping cost me hour of back and forth, rotate, back and forth, rotate. Boring and yet can mess up a HS if not done right, but if it is done right, you get really shiny HS that you can see yerself in, and remove any inperfections during the machining of the HS. Result... A cooler CPU, and sore arm. If this is not detailed enough try this link.... This process has been been around a long time now.
http://www.fury-tech.com/modules.php?mod_name=Contents&jump=lapping
I wonder If a person can use rubbing compund?

I'd personally be leary about using rubbing compound since it might get into the microscopic spores and grooves of the HS. Yes, I know, that is why you are lapping it but there are still imperfections no matter what and you do not want the rubbing compound to interfere with the AS5 or whatever you are using.

yeah i figured as much, I always used the tried and true method of sandpaper and glass:d

1. Room temps, i cant really tell (its summer in LA right now).

the case temps hit around 75 - 85 depending on time of day.

AS3 is spread out correctly.

HS is seated correctly.

i think the easiest solution right now, is too drop the clock a couple notches down.

im scared of sacrificing the life of my cpu dramatically.

lugee said:
what can i use to lap the hs? i know i hsould use sand paper, but is there any other method?

i know thermal right laps their hs very well, and when i received it, i ran my fingernail through it and found no grooves. i think it might be that problem though. ive taken the heatsink off every so often to change cpu's.

Lugee, feel free to drop me an email with any questions you might have about lapping. I do have quite a bit of good knowledge on my site in the FAQ section; I'd be glad to help in any way I can

Dave
[email protected]
www.easypckits.com

Back