• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heater core position

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's best to put it in your case. I never put mine in because I never had the room (Mid tower). Your pump should be on your PCI Slots, your heatercore should be in the intake area with the barbs facing the res/pump, and the rest is pretty self explanitory. The bottom if your case is cool. A setup outside takes alot of tubing which causes major loss of GPH. You have to buy like a 700gph pump to put everything outside.

Top of the case is just fine

I installed the Black Ice radiators in all my rigs to the top of the case... No leaks whatsoever....

I installed the Black Ice II inside an Enermax 989-AL case, and put 2 Delta 130CFM fans on top of it, outside the case...
This was my first aquacooled rig...

See the pics:
04-Koolrod_sidev01.jpg

04-Koolrod_sidev01.jpg

03-Koolrod_top.jpg

I'll also post a pic. of my new chrome plated BI Xtreme Rev.2... i got it from cooltechnica.com:D

thanks

Based on what Ive seen and read I think my heater core will be going on the top of the case at a slight (3degree) incline....my heater core is 10.5x6.75 inches and will fit nicely there.....thanks to everyone for there input.........peace:beer:

I can't see why people would want to put the radiator in the bottom of the case. The radiator gets hot, hot air raises from the radiator inside the case, thus warming up the case. Like a radiator on a heating system. Putting the radiator outside the case must make a difference. Also, with my design, the radiator has the coldest air possible being taken through it, rather than warm air from within the PC. Processor heat is being taken straight out of the case!!

Some of the previous posts are a little confusing. I still don’t understand why a radiator is less efficient if laid horizontal rather than vertical. Spartacus52 recommends a diagonal mount…hmmm. Yes the pump gets a helping hand from gravity, but it also has to push the water back to the top for the second pass. So it also has to defy gravity. Where as a horizontal mount is not really affected by gravity as much.

I think in the end, it depends on the radiator. I think the black ice ii will do me fine. However I will need a powerful pump to get the water to the top of that mammoth dragon case in the first place.

kevmarks said:
I can't see why people would want to put the radiator in the bottom of the case. The radiator gets hot, hot air raises from the radiator inside the case, thus warming up the case. Like a radiator on a heating system.
Some of the previous posts are a little confusing. I still don’t understand why a radiator is less efficient if laid horizontal rather than vertical.
Spartacus52 recommends a diagonal mount…hmmm. Yes the pump gets a helping hand from gravity, but it also has to push the water back to the top for the second pass. So it also has to defy gravity. Where as a horizontal mount is not really affected by gravity as much.

The reaosn you dont want it flat is because its got alot of ways the water can flow, its not a closed pipe that runs through some fins. If you lay it flat the water doesnt always reach all the tubes and therefor you are not getting a very good cooling. As for the Air off the rad causing the case to heat up, well when you get everything setup feel the air coming off your rad, its not that hot. Actually alot of times its barely noticeable. It shouldnt cause your case to heat up anymore, especially since now with WC you are getting rid of any hot air coming off that huge CPU heatsink (and maybe GPU and NB heatsinks also).

Josh

just thinking out loud...

one thing that just occurred to me is...How were the heater cores setting in the vehicle....If you removed it your self you would know how it was aligned....the one I have now was set on its side...with the fins running paralell to the ground...I would assume that that means this heater core is designed to run that way........I replaced one in an old '78 fairlane stationwagon once and that heater core was laid flat...difference in design or unimportant positioning requirements....I dont know.......

IronHelix's server is down again, so the pics don't show up...
Does annybody know a free server where I can put my pics on, besides Geocities etc. ?

Back