• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatsink help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bubba gump

Hey, im as some of you may already know, new to building a computer for myself. And i know next to nothing on cooling(and most other stuff to :D) I am yes, going to overclock it, and i need some info on a heatsink ive heard about(good stuff that is). It is a Swiftech mcx462+. The motherboard i have, you can see in my sig is an epox 8k3ae. I have heard that the Thermaltec Volcano 7's and 9's dont fit on this mobo, and someone here told me that the mx642/+/u 's r quit good hs. I am wondering if they are good for the amount that ive seen em for ($47.99 USD) at HeatsinkFactory. If anyone knows how good this heatsink is, and if they have/or are using it, please tell me the pros/cons if you know. Any help is welcomed, and Thank you ahead of time.

P.S. IF anyone knows of a different heatsink that would fit my board, and is cheaper, please do tell. Thank you, once again.

**** i put this in wrong forum!!!! Could one of the admins put this in the correct one? Terribly sorry for this mistake. :(

That swifty is a awesome HS. If not the best it is in the top 5. I don't know if it will fit on your mobo though. The only con I have is the fact that it is a bolt-on model. Its a pain in the *** to remove the mobo to get it off. I had one and sold it and got the thermalright AX-7. Its a lot easier to remove and install and almost as good cooling as the swifty. Also costs about 1/2 the price of the swifty. If you plan on making changes often go with the AX-7, if not the swifty is a great choice.

But do u know if it would fit on the epox 8k3ae? Id think it would, coz ive seen people say the ae is just a + w/one less PCI slot.... thx for the info :)

I've got a MCX462+ and Smart Fan II running on a AMD XP2100...still locked, although the reason that I got it is because I do plan to oc the chip...so far the temp remains at 38c no matter what...

I would recommend that you take a look at the Alpha 8045, Swiftech MCX462+, Thermalright SLK-800. All three of these deliver close to the same performance with the Thermalright taking the slight lead.

Back