• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!!! Extremely worried I may have brought the wrong waterblock for my 6900K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falloutboy

Registered
I need some help with this it has me confused and concerned, I brought an Intel heatkiller IV pro off of the au.aquatuning site - which turned out to be a German redirect - BUT on the site it mentions that this block is compatible with:
1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2011-3.

I received my parcel today and upon checking the documentation I found in a separate panel the statement 2011-Narrow ILM, 2011-3 Narrow ILM which was NOT indicated on the website, in addition there is no mounting plate for the LGA-2011-3 so I presume that this needs to be purchased separately and I can't find anyone selling one searching via google.

Is this block compatible with the I7-6900K? the documentation and the web page seem to vary.

At this point I am concerned because if it will not work - it is one hell of an expense I did not need.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Did you check the box to see what hardware is with it?
A link to the block you bought would help greatly...

I edited my previous post and included a picture that shows the info, only after reading the manual did I become concerned that it was narrow ILM only.

The Watercool website clearly states which are the Narrow-ILM and which are not. I'd say either you ordered the wrong one or they sent the wrong one. You need to check your order and your packing slip and determine who made the mistake. If it was them you might be in luck. If it was your error you might just be out shipping and/or a restocking fee.

http://shop.watercool.de/epages/Wat.../Wasserkühler/"CPU Kühler"/"für INTEL Sockel"

So... did you check the hardware in the box?

In the box is a German/English manual, a set of mounting hardware( bolts ) for LGA-2011/2011-3, another set for LGA1150/1155/1156/1366, Four springs, four washers, an Alan key, One pure copper water cooling block and two pieces of foam.

And the 2011/2011-3 hardware, is it a square bolt pattern?

Right - I have just sorted this one out - thank you for those who took time to respond, It took a while to find the manufacturer watercool.de and I made a toll call from New Zealand ( OUCH ) 2nd one tonight. It turns out the documentation is wrong the Heatkiller IV Pro does support square ILM and also a lot of websites are saying narrow ILM - this is wrong ( from the horses mouth ) it does work with LGA-2011-3 square ILM, it doesn't need a mounting plate even for the conditions which I will be mounting this 470gm pure copper block under - which will be completely upside down with the barbs facing the floor - it will cope with it.

Right - I have just sorted this one out - thank you for those who took time to respond, It took a while to find the manufacturer watercool.de and I made a toll call from New Zealand ( OUCH ) 2nd one tonight. It turns out the documentation is wrong the Heatkiller IV Pro does support square ILM and also a lot of websites are saying narrow ILM - this is wrong ( from the horses mouth ) it does work with LGA-2011-3 square ILM, it doesn't need a mounting plate even for the conditions which I will be mounting this 470gm pure copper block under - which will be completely upside down with the barbs facing the floor - it will cope with it.

Wow, I have mine in the box still waiting and this thread caused me to pop it open and look.

Yup, no backplate?!?! Yet it clearly shows a backplate on what would be page 5 of the manual?

I have a few different plates here from other units, I may attempt to use one of them.

Wow, I have mine in the box still waiting and this thread caused me to pop it open and look.

Yup, no backplate?!?! Yet it clearly shows a backplate on what would be page 5 of the manual?

I have a few different plates here from other units, I may attempt to use one of them.

The backplate you have to purchase separately apparently but on page 7 of the manual which is me it shows no backplate 6900K is square ILM - depending on your CPU you may need a backplate for it apparently my model is also specific to square ILM being product number 18002 on the side of the box - there are others which have a more rectangular mounting and apparently a slightly different product code for narrow ILM although I believe it is just the arms on the waterblock that have been changed and you can buy that as a separate kit.

2011 doesn't use a backplate.

This is correct. You don't need a backplate on X99 socket 2011 v3 because the board comes with it embedded to the MB. All you do is use the right screws and springs that came with the block for the 2011 v3. Don't want to use the wrong ones and over tighten it since they have different tensions as that will result in a damaged CPU, socket or both.

This is correct. You don't need a backplate on X99 socket 2011 v3 because the board comes with it embedded to the MB. All you do is use the right screws and springs that came with the block for the 2011 v3. Don't want to use the wrong ones and over tighten it since they have different tensions as that will result in a damaged CPU, socket or both.

They didn't make the X99 related backplate at all clear or obvious in the manual though and had me really confused when it only mentioned 2011-3 Narrow ILM then I found out after ringing them that the Narrow ILM versions actually have a different part code - but the current part code can do narrow ILM if you buy replacement brackets to put on the block - not at all clearly stated.

Good solid full copper block though , the only thing that might have made it better is if the bottom had been polished to a mirror finish as opposed to having machining marks on it. possibly something I can do myself.

They didn't make the X99 related backplate at all clear or obvious in the manual though and had me really confused when it only mentioned 2011-3 Narrow ILM then I found out after ringing them that the Narrow ILM versions actually have a different part code - but the current part code can do narrow ILM if you buy replacement brackets to put on the block - not at all clearly stated.

Good solid full copper block though , the only thing that might have made it better is if the bottom had been polished to a mirror finish as opposed to having machining marks on it. possibly something I can do myself.

No worries. I had some confusions as well once I got my X99 a couple years back but figured it out visually and was actually really happy to see what they had done and not have to deal with the back plates when needed to take the block off for w/e the case maybe, i.e. maintenance, replacing TIM, etc. I did have to use a separate set of screws and really happy I caught that before I installed it.

As for the block being shinny, they usually are from these reputed water cooling mfgers but nothing like a little grit couldn't fix. :D

Back