• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!! Its Overheating!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cegepboy

i'm a newb at this, so i might say useless info but bear with me plz
Ok here's my system:

athlonXP 1800+
asus A7V266-E motherboard
asus geforce3
300w power supply
volcano 7 cpu fan
1 case fan

i use that Asus PC Probe and also the bios to tell me my cpu temp.
its at 53 DEGREES CELCIUS!!! its even gone up to 60!!! why is it so hot?? I'm NOt even overclocking yet! if i do, i'm scared its going to burn my house down. PC PROBE says my fan is turning at the maximum of 5000 rpm. My case isn't right next to a wall, bout 30 cm away. not next to a heater.... Why's it so hot??

i wanted to show off my comp, but at this temp, its an embarrassment.

My MB temp is also at 40 degrees, it goes past that too often enough too.

I don't think getting a second case fan will be enough.
What do i do?

i heard that too, but i used tried several different temperature programs and they all gave me high results above 50 degrees

basicaly whatever you are getting u should minus 10C since asus boards over report their temp of corse it could be +/- a few degrees i'v used 2 asus boards and the temps were at least 10 hotter on both btw its not the prog thats inaccurate its the actual thermister that asus uses

What is your CPU vcore voltage set at?
You only have 2 fans in that box?
You might want to add more, and also check out the "cooling" forums.

I don't know anything about the asus board but I can tell you when I built my system (Shuttle ak31 v3.1, 1133tbird, pc2100micron, gecorce 2mx400) with the volcano 7 (not volcano 7+) my temps under load would climb to 60C. I added three case fans (4 total) to help get it to 53C. I finally switched the heatsink/fan from the volcano 7 to a swiftech mcxc370 hs/f. This dropped my temps down below 40c under load (overclocked to 9.5 x 136fsb-limited by cpu with a core voltage of 1.85). My suggestion is to scrap that volcano 7 for a better heatsink such as one of the ones rated in the link given previously. Just my two cents, and worth less than that:)

Hey buddy. I have the volcano 7 with the same chip. It works great. My temps never go above 110 f under load. Idle is 100-105 F. But I only accomplished this by porting the cpu fan outside the case. Doing this dropped my cpu temp down 15 degrees!! Email me if you want pics of what it looks like. This coupled with the temp controlled volcano 7 and my digidoc5 made everything run cooler and everythinf quieter since i needed less fans on at any given time. bringing cool air in is the most important thing you can do for your temps. :burn: My temps are as accurate as they can get also. I use the digidoc5 flat probe placed on the chip itself just under the HSF. And no its not squished in between. It has plenty of room in there.

Solo

I just got an A7V266-E to use with my duron. I had an old epox board before, that gave me temps of about 35 C under load with an sk6 and delta 60mm on my duron 800 @ 1015 with 1.8 vcore. On the a7v i get temps of nearly 45 C under load sumtimes with the same case, hsf and everything else, also, my other system on an A7A gives me much higher temps than i'd have expected with the sk6. IMO the thermistor on the ASUS board reports temps way too high??

asus has bad onboard probes.
try remounting your heatsink and buying some thermal grease if you need to.

i had that same heatsink and ran it around 45~ full load
am sure your can get alot better then that good luck.

Link 1
Link 2

Those links should help give you an understanding of why your onboard probe is mostly worthless, and give you an idea of where you should look for your temps to be at, either with the probe or with a real monitor.

Enjoy! :)

Welcome to the forums, too. :)

The faulty Asus probes hit again!

Ive heard many haunting stories of the Asus probe being off by 10cs (damn thats weak). Well Im not exactyly sure but I think that all programs get there temps from the sensor chip. That means that all the temps should be the same with each program.

I agree with ThePunkGeek the best thing to do is probably to reseat the HS. Follow the instructions they give at http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm.
You can also try lapping the HS. People get great results from doing this (anywhere from 1-7Cs)

You might try running with your case open. This can tell you if your air circulation is efficient and adequate. With only 1 case fan that might just be your problem!

Yes new grease indeed!

I agree with the above comment. Arctic Silver grease is what I use all over my chips. Dont settle for that worthless pad that came with the heatsink. They melt off and around the cpu core and sufficate it over time. Make sure you follow the directions too. Too much grease is worse than too little.
peace out:rolleyes:

My Rig:

AMD T-bird 1400mhz @1617mhz =100 F idle, 106 F load
Volcano 7 ported outside the case.
MSI K7T266a pro2-ru Bios v.3.3 Tt crystal orb on northbridge.
FSB 147mhz x11 COrsair xms2400 256m ddr ram w/spreaders
Enmax 350w whisper/dual fan psu
Herc 3d-prophet 2 ultra 64m, Crystal Orb cooled core, Copper ramsinks
YS Tech 60mm cooling gf2 ram chips
Twin 92mm fans exhaust, 1-80mm intake
Maxtor 7200rpm 30g HDD 40mm fan cooled
Aopen 52x cd-rom, SBLive, D-link NIC,
DigiDoc5 for monitoring.

Last edited:
Back