• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose heatsinks, people

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goo Kenson

I'm running an athlon 2200+ and my cooling is terrible. I'm talking like 55 idle with no OC.

So I've decided to get a new hsf. I just got this rig a month ago, first custom comp, so I'm still working out the kinks.

I plan on some OCing, so I'm gonna go with something heavy duty. The 2 that struck me were the SLK800 and MCX4000. They both look good. MCX is aliminum pins with copper base, sounds good. SLK800 I've read has gotten a stable overclock of 2050 mhz on a system similar to mine. I havn't heard any detailed reviews of the mcx4000 other than that it rocks and they've never had better air cooled temps. MCX4000 is more expensive, which generally means better, if only slightly.

Which of these do you think I should get? Any other info that would help you?

Also, I plan on installing the Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 on whichever hs I get. Any better fan reccomendations? SF2 seems pretty good in combination with one of those leet sinks up there with it's 75.7 cfm at max and temp controlled speed. So, if there;s a better fan to get let me know.

Also, within the range of air cooling prices, money is no object.

for less than $100 you can build your own watercooling system. If you rather have air cooling then I'd go for the SLK800 with a tornado fan and a rheostat to help the noise issues... good luck! :)
oh yeah and Welcome to the Forums!

beezee said:
for less than $100 you can build your own watercooling system. If you rather have air cooling then I'd go for the SLK800 with a tornado fan and a rheostat to help the noise issues... good luck! :)

I don't want watercooling. I plan in moving this comp around frequently, to LANs and such. Watercooling would be kind of a hassle.

Air cooling, people. Air cooling. Also, I could get either one of these heatsinks plus the sf2 for about $60 together, plenty less than $100.

beezee said:
I agree, and BTW, the MCX4000 is for the P4 only, the MCX462+ is for the AMD's. YOu will need a hipo fan for these sinks to cool that 2200, the smartfan won't really cut it, Tornado here you come.

How's the 80 mm Vantec tornado with 84.1 cfm? ****, that thing's loud. Noise insulating wouldn't work well with this case, what with the 3 windows.

Well, seems like a good fan. But where can I get a rheostat separate from a fan?

EDIT: Oh, right, forgot about the 462 thing. Heh.

Yeah, ok, tornado and slk800. Any way I can sound insulate? I have windows on the top, and both sides.

What we are suggesting is getting a rheostat and modding the fan. The procedure is simple, really. It will allow you to turn the fan up or down as needed. You should be able to find info on the procedure all over this site. All it takes is a $5 doohickey from radio shack, a soldering gun, a bit of solder, and little if any soldering experience.

Back