• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me pick a mobo for 2nd puter pls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I have a second computer, a server, but I want to use it for more, and perhaps even give it as a gift.

Anyhow, it used to be my Number 1 computer, of course.

It is a Barton 2500+ cpu, you remember, the very popular overclocker (not quite on the previous gen 1700+ level, but you know what I mean)..

Anyhow, my mobo on that computer is the Asus A7V600, I can't remember exactly what, but I know two things, it doesn't support major ocing (but its adequate), but more importantly, it doesn't have a pci-e slot.

I use a NVidia TI4200 AGP card on that. Now this is what I'm wondering. I have a ATI X800 PCI-E laying around here. So my question is, would it be worth it for me to upgrade the motherboard to one that is more OC friendly as well as one that has a PCI-E slot for my X800. The OC is not so important because I already run the Barton well beyond it's stock clock so I don't need more then that, so basically, am I looking at a serious upgrade in graphics from the ti4200 to the x800. I know the x800 handled quite a few games I threw at it, but the ti4200 was so long ago I don't remember.

Finally, what mobo would fit this scenario? Any suggestions? Of course it has to be a good price, perhaps $50 to $80, considering it's very old.. But I'd be willing to spend more..

If I like the responses here, I'll also be upgrading my DDR ram on it, so a dual channel mobo would be good, presently my board doesn't have dual channel, and it has only 768MB ram (although that seems to be plenty for a server, lol).

Oh, my mobo also doesn't have sata, I need that as well on the new mobo.

Last edited:
Back