• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick out my new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extreme

Registered
Hey guys been out of the loop for a while and well i think its time for a new system. Well after doing some looking around on the fourms and what not i decided to go with a DFI bored and a AMD X2. Here is what i picked out so far. I have all the drives im going to use at home. Lead me in the right path :)

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 x2

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply

THERMALRIGHT XP-120 Heatsink

Panasonic Panaflo FBA12G 12U1C 120mm Hydro Wave Case Cooling Fan

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model
OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4600BVBOX

Thanks for the help :)

that is gonna be amazing system, but i'd bump up the power supply. The SLI-ready Enermax 560W Noisetaker is a good one. 480W seems a bit weak. it would work, but you'd limit your options in the future if you ever go SLI.

every other component is top notch. you sure did your research. I had to suffer thru 5 months of MSI shiite before I finally ditched it and went DFI path, with OCZ ram.

Tiesto said:
that is gonna be amazing system, but i'd bump up the power supply. The SLI-ready Enermax 560W Noisetaker is a good one. 480W seems a bit weak. it would work, but you'd limit your options in the future if you ever go SLI.

every other component is top notch. you sure did your research. I had to suffer thru 5 months of MSI shiite before I finally ditched it and went DFI path, with OCZ ram.

Ya after i posted this i was thinking, that psu is not going to be able to handel it all. I am planing to go SLI just to have the money for another 500 dollar vc. Thanks for the advice. I really hope this board is good as everyone says it is

You know that SLi is a mare gimmick right? You will spend a 1000$ on those two cards and in a year when a new card comes out it will cost 500$ and will kick your SLi setup in the bottom. Other then that its a great setup but I would get the Ultra-D board and some the money for something else, maybe upgrade your WC equipment.

Get this for $125 and easily mod it for SLI & SATA-II
http://www.newegg.com/product/Produ...Socket+939+NVIDIA+nForce4+ATX+AMD+Motherboard

Or get the same thing as SLI-DR for $170 without a lot of extra goodies that you will use only half of if you are lucky.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813136157

Comparison of DFI nF4 2xPCIe 16x slot boards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813136159,N82E16813136152&SubCategory=22

BTW don't waste you money on that expensive 4600 Manchester. Either get the 3800 Manchester and overclock it or just get the better 4400 Toledo that OCs past stock 4800 speeds.

Everything else looks great.

Get a OCZ Powerstream 520W or a Forton 550W

And yeah, a 4400+ is a much better price for performance ratio compared to the 4600+

off topic, but any easy-to-follow guide to modding an Ultra-D to SLI and SATAII?

Thanks for the help guys, is SLI really worth it?

extreme said:
Thanks for the help guys, is SLI really worth it?

Just because the board is SLi ready, does not mean you must use two cards. However, modding the ultra-d into sli saves you some serious money that you can put towards your video card.

Shouldn't two 6800's overclocked beat one 7800?

Bob Vila said:
Just because the board is SLi ready, does not mean you must use two cards. However, modding the ultra-d into sli saves you some serious money that you can put towards your video card.

Shouldn't two 6800's overclocked beat one 7800?

i'd like to see how 'serious' $50 gonna help pay for a $400 card? :p

anyways, about the question, two 6800 Ultras in SLI mode fall roughly in between a single 7800GTX and dual 7800GTX SLI mode, in 3DMark05 benchmarks. Here is a good comparison test between 7800GTX, Dual 6800 Ultra, and ATI X850 (do people still use ATI???)

but news on the rumor mill is 7800s dont work on SLI-Modded Ultra-D boards.

Back