• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me troubleshoot please!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigben6

So, trying to trouble shoot what has become an ongoing and chronic problem with my computer. This is my first build so admittedly I am not super knowledgeable, so I turn to you.

January 15th Computer is assembled, all goes well, its fast, I’m happy: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666481

Some where between then and February 11th I was running through stress tests, and began having issues: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668716

Haha no one replied, oh well…. Within 5 days things had gotten so bad I had to reinstall W7: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669193
My friend had theorized that while stress testing overnight, windows tried to run an update and that possibly that update was enough to push the system to crash leaving me with a fail mid update and thus my problems shortly there after.

February 17th I have to reload windows again when critical updates fail again: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669416
One of the key isseus here is that MSE stopped running, even after I reinstalled it, it refused to run and it was on the SSD.
This is the first time someone points the finger at my SSD but I ignore it because I’m noob…

Things seemed to level off for a bit from there and were going OK, I would have stalled reboots and some random small stuff but nothing major, it seemed odd but I never had anything that windows could not fix for itself in 5 minutes…

Then one day I lose my internet: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672407
It was fine, I restarted, it was gone, tried router, modem, settings, manually turned it on and off in windows, finally did a sefl diagnostic "ping 127.0.0.1" and it returns; unable to contact 80 driver. General failure. So I RMA’d the mobo based on feedback from forum members and was without a comp for 2 weeks +.

Got it back last Sunday, installed, everything was whacky crashes, formatted the SSD and HDD, it seems to run ok form then on, installed a TON of updates without consequence, then I start getting issues again. MSE won’t run again like before, I get constant errors that “windows explorer has stopped running” but as soon as I restart it waits 5 seconds and does it again so I cannot even see my HDD or SSD. I try to get a RAM diagnostic to rule that out and I can’t get anything stable enough to do that and I have gotten 3 windows disk check errors in the last week. Steam stopped running, MSE wont rum, Wexplorer wont run… Windows tried to run a repair and this time it says windows CANNOT repair itself... EEK

So what do you guys advise, I want to enjoy building my own comp but I am very close to parting it out and buying prebuilt, reallllly don’t want too.

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your build...in my opinion, it sounds like your SSD. For the sake of trying (at this point, you don't have much to lose) - if you can backup your data that resides on your WD Black 1TB, use the WD drive as your OS drive, then try the updates / MSE, this will help rule out if it's the SSD or if it's something else.

Im going to agree with trying to grab either another SSD (RMA your current one) or grab a platter HDD.

So i ran windows mem test, 3 passes no errors, tried to load W7 on an old HDD, and now I have a NEW error in the pic below.... im so ready to chuck this thing out the window...

Attachments

• 2011-05-02_21-48-29_245.jpg
    2011-05-02_21-48-29_245.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Resize! :)

Im not sure how good the windows memory tool is. Try memtest86 overnight.

Have u tried downclocking your ram? Im now becoming to wonder if this is a ram or imc issue on the cpu...

yeah im on my wifes laptop, so i didnt resize due to frustration, ill look up memtest tomorrow, too pissed to deal with it tonight.... how do i down clock my ram, its only 1600 which i though was ideal for phenom II's IMC, gawd this is frustrating

Lol...its sooooooo big on my droid...lol!

Lower the memory multiplier to lower the ram speed. When running memtest though, run it a1600

mem test running at 1333 right now, will it stop on its own? Will it run continuously? or am i supposed to read it mid stream?

EDIT: Im stupid, went into bios, running at 1600 now 9-11-11-9 IIRC

Last edited:
It will stop with errors. 8 hours is usually good. 3 passes is not a sign of stability. If it works at 1333, try it again at 1600Mhz.

edited above, 1600mhz passes going right now, ill let it run till i get home tonight....

Are those the default timings? if not, you should be running it at its default timings (those are just really weird timings).

If i manually set Dram to 1600 is resets timings to 9-11-11-29 T1

If i go auto is it 9-9-9-24 @ 1333

Im just gonna run it at 1333 to get a pass done, i can live with 1333 memory if it means im stable and can get a good test run...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Thats my memory, lined from my account on newegg so i knows its the same stuff, but really that means i should be running 9-9-9-24 @ 1600, wtf man?!?!? Oh well lets see what it does, or do you reccomend i set it to listed speeds manually....

If i manually set Dram to 1600 is resets timings to 9-11-11-29 T1

If i go auto is it 9-9-9-24 @ 1333

Im just gonna run it at 1333 to get a pass done, i can live with 1333 memory if it means im stable and can get a good test run...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Thats my memory, lined from my account on newegg so i knows its the same stuff, but really that means i should be running 9-9-9-24 @ 1600, wtf man?!?!? Oh well lets see what it does, or do you reccomend i set it to listed speeds manually....

Set it to it's listed speeds manually. 1.5v 9-9-9-24 @ 1600mhz. And run Memtest for 8 hours overnight or whatever.

2 screen shots, one of bios cause maybe im doing it wrong....

One of the initial pass, it listed a bunch of stuff in red, since then it hasnet even shown the red stuff atthe bottom....

picture.php

picture.php

Now headed to work runnin 9-9-9-24 T1 @ 1600 god i hope thats right, thoughts o nthe above big red screen shot?

I dont understand whats happening. You are saying when you set it manually, that it reverts back to the 9-11-11-28 timings? If you set that DRAM TIMING MODE to manual and set them?

Looks like bad ram to me. It shouldnt fail like that.

OK, thanks for not giving up on me, ill explain, on auto it wants to run 9-9-9-24 T1 2@ 1333

If i manually set Dram to 1600 and leave timings to auto it goes to the screen shot 9-11-11-29 @ 1600

I have to set everything manually in the Dram timing mode menu to get it to 9-9-9-24 T1 @ 1600, which is what it was set on when i left to come to work, and it was running memtest86+ so I'll check when i get home.

It seems to me that in the pic above of the memtest screen where it is showing a run 9-9-9-11-24 @ 1333 that all the red is a bad thing yes? I havent seen any of that since that specific run through, its passed a few, but again im leaving it till 8 or 9 tonight, but that red, its bad yes? Thats under 3 minutes and it looks to my untrained eye like it is failing BIG TIME....

I recently got approved for my SSD RMA, I am hoping results tonight will let me know wether to continue along that course of action or not....

Last edited:
Back