• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP OCing NF7-S V2.0 / XP-M 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
check this post i've got the a link to a page that has several tuned bioses.

All the bioses that I tried were D27 because of the sata rom version to prevent my raid from going bad because of a downgrade.

As you can see on my sig I got happy with tictac's d27 3dfire (i'm using cpc off, but might try cpc on to see how it goes)

First off, thanks for all your helps guys. I ended up reflashing my bios with abit's default D27 bios. reinstalled windows AGAIN (with really small overclock, like 200x10; mem at 200mhz, 2-2-2-5 1T) AND it worked...I haven't done any windows updates yet..but i installed all the drivers and i am currently trying to get my compback the way it was before all this **** happened. It is running good. I have shutdown and turned on many times and everything running good. I think the problem (like killabyte said) was a "boogered" bios :) well I am glad everything good now. I will make sure everything is perfect before I attempt winupdate, with NO OC. hopefully everything will go smooth..I have a feeling it will. I have a CS:S scrim on sunday.. so i gotta be ready.

Also, I would like to try one of those modded bios... I will definitely follow the aforementioned advice. I do have a couple questions though: do i need to do any L1-2 mod or something?? Can I just flash it like normal?? I do have a sata drive as boot drive..so the bios has to support sata. I am considering the merlin bios, and that tictac bios possesed advised. also Trats D27 619R2 1T. one thing I see is that CPC, I dont have a clue what that is to know if i need on or off.
Thanks guys, :)
Eric

Good Job. :thup: Makes you feel good doesn't it.

The CPC on is 1T and The CPC off is 2T.

All of the D27-based bioses that you mentioned will support SATA, and yes you can just flash it like normal.

Barton mobiles don't need the L12 mod if I remember correctly.

hibner said:
Good Job. :thup: Makes you feel good doesn't it.

The CPC on is 1T and The CPC off is 2T.

All of the D27-based bioses that you mentioned will support SATA, and yes you can just flash it like normal.

Barton mobiles don't need the L12 mod if I remember correctly.

Barton Mobiles are the ones that do need the L12 but you need to do it differently than the 133--> 166 or 133 -->200 mod. Google or search it.

Remember after every BIOS flash to clear the CMOS. Clear it by moving the jumper, taking the battery out and turning the PSU off. Leave it in that state for a good 30secs then bring it back to normal. Go in to the BIOS, load optmize defaults, save and exit then start to tweak. It has to be done this way to help prevent BIOS mishaps and to get best performance.

thanks for the help guys, thats what i needed to know!
I will keep you guys posted, I am gonna be pretty busy the next couple weeks..getting into christmas season..:santa: Merry Christmas!

need to do the L12 mod to see if it goes further, I think i'm also going to start using watercooling on my system, need to see the cost of the material

If you are going to spend the money on watercooling...it may be cost comparitive to just go the AMD64 route.... you would have a better performance gain doing that, anyway. But if you want to go watercooling for cheap..a good, easy setup is the coolermaster aquagate mini R120 & R80. (for 120mm sockets and 80mm sockets, respectively). These perform well... I have just read articles on the net though..I do not have one. Watercooling gets expensive fast if you go the whole radiator, pump, reservoir, waterblock..and maybe chipset/gpu waterblock..plus tubing... your already talking like 250-350 for an impressive system... only to maybe get 200mhz more out of your comp... just a thought...

Well...after countless hours of trial and error and dissapointment. It turns out the problem with my comp was a bad ram module. :( who would have thought.... :shrug: So it turns out I didn't have to reinstall windows 3 times.... Anyway, corsair has a lifetime warranty :) so I have started the RMA process. Maybe soon I can get back to OCing :D

well, now that you mention that, I might save some money for when I do the upgrado to A64, altough I only intend to do it when the M2 sockets comes out. I'm quite pleased with my computer performance with all the new games that have come out and I see no need to make the upgrade so soon, the only thing i'm going to do is to optimize my system. I'm going to do the L12 mod and add some cooling to the SB and mosfets.

I've checked the prices and it would cost me aroud 200 euros for a full wc, the main gain would be in terms of noise (or the absense of it). I'm also going to keep it aside for when I do the A64 upgrade and do it all at once

what kind of watercooling setup you looking at? I actually have a HUGE knowledge when it comes to computer parts. I read a lot :D I also put my first watercooling setup in my brother's comp when he graduated HS a couple months ago. One thing to take into account is: new technology always takes a little while to get efficient and non-buggy. The only thing that M2 adds in DDR2.... whose performance you should be able to surpass (I think) with nicely oced DDR (with DDR timings). M2 is scheduled to come out in April 06. By then you could take advantage of the price drops on non-M2 stuff and score a SWEET DDR & A64 machine for cheap :santa:
Let me know if you want any advice/info about watercooling stuff...
-Eric

is is scheduled to april? I thought it would only come out in the last quarter, even better since I'm aiming for end 2006 / start 2007 to do the upgrade (I want a dual core since I need the extra power for video editing) and those more than 6 months will be good enough to remove bugs and wait for more brands and models for a better deal.

now for watercooling I'm really very green at it, you can feel free to enlight me something to start getting an idea of a good system (btw I own a chieftec full tower and have a nice extra space above the psu ;) )

now on my xp-m i'm going full overclock with it this weekend, going to do the L12 mod and I'm finally gonna heatsinks for the SB and all the mosftets on my abit (as well as a zalman for my gpu since the one that comes with is is crap, 70º C geez)

Yeah I think it was on the amdzone website that I read that about the scheduled release date of april.

As far as watercooling is concerned: if you want an all in one setup, you could go with either coolermaster's little CPU-ONLY aquagate mini line-up. Or Koolance has their exos 2 line. Corsair also makes a wc system that performs well. But for top-of the line you pretty much have to do a DIY setup and buy everything seperately. The leader for water blocks right now is the swiftech storm block. swiftech also has some great pumps and reservoirs too. Or you could get a dual 5in bay that is clear and will definitely Up the BLING factor on your comp. The most important thing is to figure out how big a radiator you can fit in your case, and where exactly your gonna put it...have to measure dimensions and stuff. You might want to consider modding your case...as far as cutting or widening holes to be able to mount. I saw one lian li PC-75 case that has the extra "PS sized" bay above the actual PS, and they had the radiator (120mmx3) attached to 3 120mm fans at the top of the case...which had but modded to accomodate 3 exhaust fans. :D thats a powerful setup...especially when coupled with the Black Ice III extreme 120x3 radiator...(the top of the line)

Hope that helps,
eric

Back