• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help pick an OS! -or- Linux Share help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok guys... I'm at a loss here.

I finally got everything up and going hardware wise, the decided to reinstall the OS and take it from there.

I put the disk in, and booted to it normally (ubuntu server) pressed return to select language and return again to select install. Now I just get a blank screen.

Decided to boot to the old OS. this wasn't working either. Just froze at a blank screen.

I've tried with the RAID card installed, and with out it. I've tried with no hard drives, and different cables for the ones installed.

I've even tried a different video card and taking out the cmos batt.

I put the disk into a different PC, and it boots fine.

I tried with each stick of ram individually.

Like I said, I'm at a loss here. All I can think of is motherboard.

Any other options?

Have you reset the CMOS and tried another optical drive? Also, search to see if there are any special parameters that you need to pass because of your motherboard. Can you go to another terminal window (ctrl + alt + f2) at the black screen?

Yes and Yes to the first two.

I had it installed with no issues on this board before. I get nothing with that key combo on the blank screen.

Try to boot the disk with the following commands:

noacpi nomodeset

From looking around, these are the two most common fixes.

Ok. I have a centos disk spinning.

I found where it is hanging at least?

Code:
Detecting hardware...
waiting for hardware to initialize...
disabling IRQ #11

and then it would freeze. I got crafty, reserved irq 11. Next boot it just disabled 10 and 5 then froze.

I then disabled APIC in bios only to have it freeze at "waiting for hardware to initialize..."

one last reboot, this time using basic video driver (why not, always worth a shot) and freezes same place again....

Disable any on-board devices you don't need. Not sure if that will help.

Always sad to see a long lived board go out like that, I ran a 939 a64 3000+ as my main rig for around 6 years before passing it on to my dad.

PS. nice rackmount case BTW the orientation was confusing me a bit at first glance. My server has always been in this old beast of a full tower case I got for like $9 back in 99 until it finally had to be scrapped.

Last edited:
I have a s939 that was just retired by an E350!!! lol. It was for my dad. Anyway, its an epox board. Not sure exactly the specs but its in working order should you end up needing something.

Remember, no buying or selling in the open forums. That includes giving things away. That's why we have a Classifieds section

muddocktor
Forum Staff

No worries. I know the rules.

Sent him PM asking some specs and if he wanted to respond to my wanted post. We decided it wasn't the board for me.

If anyone was wondering... After replacing the Motherboard, CPU and RAM with stuff I bought from OptyTrooper, it boots fine. PERC card works fine. Testing for the night done. I leave you with this picture. 2nd CPU to be installed shortly. Thank you all.

11 - 1.jpg

Back