• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with 2gig(1gbx2) RAM decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P1MP1N J

Registered
Hi im new to the computer building scene and have recently built my own computer which spec's are:
AMD 3000+ newcastle
GiGAByte GA-K8NS with nForce3 250 chipset
Ati radeon X850 pro
and currently 512mb of kingston value ram
I am looking for 2gb of ram setup from newegg or other for around 190$ to spend and i would like the fastest available at that price without overclocking or changing a ton of settings because I went on newegg to get ram and got Very confused at the different timings and such and all but the reason iam getting it is that my mobo didnt seem to want the run 2x512mb sticks and so i figured one was defective and got rid of it because i figured i fried it upon installing (my first comp) and so i wasnt sure if that was the problem but i recently updated my BIOS to the F18 thing for the motherboard which probably could have helped the situation out so i am now looking at the Fastest stock 2gb ram setup for 190$ or less and the ram that my motherboard says that i can fit is: 3 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets that support up to 3gb max and support DDR400/333/266 DIMM and supports DDR DIMM but that is all i know and i would appreciate it very much if you could help me make the right choice first instead of being sorry later :)

thanks for your time,
LJ

it is a good choice for OC, this modules use samsung uccc chips like the G.skill HZ and the HZ costs 157$ now, also this modules don't like tight timings, stock at 200mhz you will get 2.5-3-3

my ocz ddr500 2 x 1 are pretty good. hit 277ish . these are the original kind not the new honey comb kind.

so will they be pretty good at stock then? ill mod them later after i get more comfortable with all these timings and stuff lol but i have no idea what 2.5-3-3 means lol

if you will use them at stock, not worth it, cuz there is out modules that can do 2-3-2-5 at stock which will give you better performance, the one you got will be normal in stock speed 3-3-3-8, it will be good when you come to overclock as it is rated ddr500 and will give you a nice boost :D

ahh ic how would i go about this to make them fast? will it potentially eff them up forever? or like what lol and can you describe in detail how i can make these really fast? :D :D

the K8NS will not help you much, as it will underclock the speed of ram from 400MHz to 333MHz automatically

dammit i need a new mobo now lol i just bought 2gigs of ram a heatsink n stuff i shoulda bought a new motherboard

I was using K8NS and using 2x double sided dimms will result in droping the speed from 333 to 400 and changing manually to 400 from the bios will produce errors in windows and BSOD

I actually have those same sticks of ram in right now. What I would say you could do is overclock your HTT (formerly fsb) to 250mhz and drop your cpu multi to make the cpu run stock speeds (until you get your heatsink then you can up that too) and make SURE to change you HT (different from HTT) to 4x instead of 5x because it is only supposed to run at 1000mhz (derived from HTTxHT=250mhz x 4=1000mhz). Oh and for your ram. At 250mhz for me I have my ram running at 3-4-4-8 @ 250mhz 1t command rate. If you dont know what the x-x-x-x is it stands for ram timings in order they are your CL-RCD-RP-RAS. Oh and when getting your ram up to those settings up your Vdimm (voltage for ram) to like 2.75-2.8 which is stock even though my MSI motherboard, for instance, warns me that that is too high.

nice thanks for helpin me :) im kinda starting to get it for the most part how would i change the HT as you stated? would that be in bios? i have stock settings but i think i set to optimize on the bios setup im not sure tho how would i do the change that your saying?

so how would i change my HT to 4x from 5x? is it a bios change? and so should i set them at 1t rate or is it not stable for the 2 sticks?

thx man :) im debating on wether to sell my computer or not right now :( lol how much do you think it would be worth? cause its all like brand new i just dont want to **** something up by overclocking or w/e :S

Not sure what its worth. When you OC, you have to be willing to accept hardware deaths and warrantys viod, I lost over a grand in hardware in the last 2 weeks alone. =/

Back