• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking Core2Quad Q9550 on Gigabyte G41MT-D3 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yazza2014

Registered
Like the title says, I've been trying to overclock my CPU. The highest clock I can get is 2.91 Ghz, while I've heard of people getting it up to a max of 4 Ghz.

If I try to go higher than 2.91, the computer won't go past POST.

My motherboard does seem to support overclocking as I managed to overclock my last CPU from 2.93 Ghz to 3.77 Ghz with no problems.

I've tried messing with RAM timings (RAM specs by default are 11,11,11,28) lowest I've done is 5,5,6,17 and highest I've tried is 11,15,15,56. This had no affect on the CPU overclocking.

I've also tried upping the CPUvcore voltage one or two notches, that didn't do anything to help either

I've attached screenshots of my current BIOS settings, and screenshots of cpuz.

n4v0hw.jpg
10gxn9x.jpg
1z4agxj.jpg
25ko4f9.jpg

My current specs are

Hyper 412 CPU cooler
Q9550 CPU
2x4GB DDR3 Team Group RAM 1600 Mhz
Gigabyte G41MT-D3 Motherboard
Coolermaster 700 W PSU
Nvidia GTX 660 GPU

If I'm missing anything, let me know.

I'm still new to overclocking, so I don't know everything about it yet.

I'd like to know if it's possible to overclock this further with this board, and if so, what settings I should use.

Cheers

Apparently my board is limited to a FSB of 343.

So if anyone else is trying the same thing with this board, don't bother. Maybe a BSEL mod would work for overclocking

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3476&dl=

I'm not surprised from looking at a photo of that board... Not much there in the way of a VRM section just a few phase and no heatsink. The board is probably better suited for running at stock speed(s) or perhaps a dual core with just a mild overclock.

Something like Gigabyte's EP45 series motherboard would be much better suited for overclocking a Core2 Quad: Anything from EP45-UD3P / UD3R (DDR2) to a EP45T-UD3P / UD3R / USB3P (DDR3).

Last edited:
Back