• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSeasonToCome

I'm sorry if there is an easy answer to this, and I'll try to give all the information I need to give, but this is my first time trying to OC a computer and I was doing all of this under the instruction of my friend, who's done it a few times.

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo with an Intel E8400 chipset. I went through step by step in my BIOS to disable whatever mode my mobo has where it only runs one core during idle and went to change my FSB and voltage.

Host Control of the FSB is by default disabled, so I enable that and keep my CPUM at 9x. I bumped by FSB from 333 to 380 to give me an output of 3.42GHz just to start out.

Now, my mobo prompts me when I enabled the Host Control of the speeds to set my voltage to "Auto" so that the mobo will control how many volts are needed to run the chipset. The first time I OC'd my friend said just to try this.

I am running 2 sticks of DD2 1066 RAM, 2GB a pop. I kept my RAM multiplier on auto, but set the timings to manual and put those timings at 5-5-5-15 (5-7-7-20 default) as per the suggestion of my friend.

I saved the BIOS and rebooted. Boot was fine and I wanted to say it seemed faster than normal, but when I load Everest Ultimate and check my Overclock settings it still says I am running at 3.00GHz (9x and a FSB of 333).

I go back into my BIOS and find that the Host Control of the speed has been set back to disable, along with the memory timing being set back to auto. However, once I enable both of them, the settings are already in place.

I attempted to OC again, this time adjusting the voltage myself. I started at 1.2V and my computer wouldn't boot. My friend said to try different voltages up to 1.3V, so I did and still my computer wouldn't boot.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Sorry if I didn't get the right information out there, like I said, this is my first time.

Back