• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with: z77x-ud5h w/ SSD in raid 0 + bootable USB 3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaarosu

Registered
I was surfing randomly yesterday and run across people running an SSD in raid 0, they were getting read/write speed over 800M/s

I got an intel 520 240G SSD, but never new anything about raid0, and my mobo as default used AHCI when i installed windows

i run some SSD test and were getting 450-500ish M/s, in read/write which is normal.... will i get the 800+ result if i switch to raid? .. am i missing something here? .... i know in the past u need at least 2 SSD to ran in raid mode.

does it still apply up to this date?

also, if i switch to raid, chances is that i will need to re-install windows.
i just updated my bios to F8, will it support a bootable 3.0 usb to install windows?

there is a registry hack to move ahci to raid from within windows that will allow the upgrade to raid. Or you can use the intel rapid strorage app to add a drive and migrate to raid from within windows as well.
As far as transfer speeds you will need to keep both raid0 drives on the intel sata6g connections to get the most from transfer speeds. And raid0 intel 520 drives should give you 1000/1050 write-read speeds in atto. Raid0 will do almost nothing to help boot times, but there are many areas that will give basically double performance if you can utilize the capabilities of these drives in a raid. As far as write speeds go, you would you ever get 1000mbs to those drives! But the possible performance is staggering

I won't get into detail, but RAID is AHCI. Moving from AHCI to RAID will just load the Optional ROM for RAID every time you boot. You don't need to modify any drivers for this as long as you are still booting from the same device and not from a RAID array.

Now, the over 500MBps speeds are only reached with two SSD drives* set together in a RAID, with the level 0 or striping. You need two drives for this.

If you only have one drive, moving from AHCI to RAID will not benefit you at all. In fact, it will be worse, one-two seconds slower boot times due to the RAID OROM being loaded.

It will support any bootable USB device to install Windows from. The only thing you need to use is Windows 7 USB Download Tool (available from Microsoft Store) and a genuine ISO, not to mention a genuine/OEM license. If you have a genuine DVD, discard it, as most times the ISOs of those discs are not accepted by the Tool. Copying the files from the DVD to the USB usually don't work. When booting from the USB device, select the option that says "UEFI", and discard the "USB" one.

*OK, you can get those speeds with a bunch of HDDs and RAID0 but that is not the point.

i think i'll stick to what i have. I dont need 2 SSD for raid
was hoping 1 SSD for raid ...

thanks a lot guys

1 SSD for a RAID is kinda impossible, RAID means Redundant Array of Inexpensive/Independent Drives/Disks. An array is an arrangement of objects. You can make an array out of one object.

Unless you are doing massive sequential read/writes, there is no reason to do RAID 0 with solid state drives. Don't bother with switching. Buy a single drive that fits your space requirements. With RAID 0 and two drives, you are nearly doubling your chance of failure and will get no perceivable performance increase. Sure, it would be faster in benchmarks, but I wouldn't believe you if you said you felt the difference.

1 SSD for a RAID is kinda impossible
Technically speaking, you could create a degraded RAID 1 array, which would have a single disk. Some RAID cards even allow you to do a single drive "RAID 0" to pass through individual disks to the operating system.

Back