• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here's a new one..how to reverse the p4 wire trick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buduglee

Registered
I just got a 2.8(had a 1.8 @2.5)and installed it in my p4s533.
I had used the 'U' drop in wire trick to increase my max voltage.
Before I put in the new processor I removed the 'u' shaped wire
as I didn't think I would need the extra voltage.
It would not boot...nothing ,nada, zip.

Through a long process of elimination I got back to the wire trick,
dropped it back in and the computer booted and works fine except my default voltage is 1.725 and my temp is about 5 degrees higher than my [email protected]'m at a 150 fsb stable.

Does anybody have any idea why it won't boot without the wire?
I had no idea this was not reversible......or am I missing something.
I cleared the cmos but that did not help.

Thanks

try again without the wire.. mab u were doing soemthign wrong.. take off the overclock as well maybe it doesnt work with the overclock at default volts. try doin default fsb.. b4 removing wire.. mab cmos clear didnt work or smth

1. Clear the CMOS jumper
2. Remove the processor and CMOS battery for 1 hour.
3. Put back the proc. and batt.
4. Clear the CMOS jumper again.
5. Turn On the Computer, Select Default Setting and Restart.

good luck....

asw7576,
thanks for the response.Have you had a similar issue?
What does removing the battery do?I'm just trying to get a handle on what's happening.
Thanks

What does removing the battery do?I'm just trying to get a handle on what's happening.

By removing the battery, you really erase any data left in CMOS chip, and thus forcing the BIOS chip to write again new set of(virgin or default) BIOS DATA in CMOS chip. That all, no harm at all to your O.S. nor data in your harddisk.

Funny thing, when I modded my norty 1.8 with the drop in hole wire trick, I shorted only 2 holes for a 1.85v max, I think it was. Anyway, I put it in the right holes but I got the full range of voltage variable from something like 1.25v all the way past 2v!
I've never figured that one out either. I wrote here then about this weird happening, explaining it in better detail, but no one had an answer. Batboy did say it might have been possible that the BIOS on the mobo might have been messed up, but he couldn't say if this would cause my problem, even after removing and reinstalling the battery.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the responses.
I hope the mobo didn't get damaged..Ikind of doubt it and I can't see how taking the wire out could have any effect on the cmos but I guess I'll try asw7576's suggestion and see what happens. Other than that I can't think of anything else to do.

Back