• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hey guys, i think we hit the jackpot here..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I ordered a single stick of 512mb "Buffalo PC3700 Winbond Module" from Newegg the other day, it arrived today, and Micron -5B C chips are it's contents. Not knowing how good this stuff was, I was certainly disappointed, expecting BH5.

I was actually on the phone with Newegg requesting an RMA when I found this thread, and while I was on the phone with the guy, I quickly changed my mind, and decided to give this stuff a shot. Boy am I glad I did!!

It will do 3-2-2-11 up to ~215 2.9V and still pass Memtest. I got random errors above that.

I'm now Priming (after passing Memtest) 3-2-3-11 at 228fsb w/ 2.9V on an Abit NFS-V2. 3-3-2-11 passed Prime at 228 for a couple hours earlier. <-- By the way, which is the better timing? -- 3-2-3-11, or 3-3-2-11? I'm scoring 3300 / 3090 in Sandra using single channel at 227 3-2-3-11.

I quickly went back to Newegg to order another stick. Now that I have my two, I decided to post here, knowing you guys will quickly order them all up.

adelphia83 said:
I ordered a single stick of 512mb "Buffalo PC3700 Winbond Module" from Newegg the other day, it arrived today, and Micron -5B C chips are it's contents. Not knowing how good this stuff was, I was certainly disappointed, expecting BH5.

I was actually on the phone with Newegg requesting an RMA when I found this thread, and while I was on the phone with the guy, I quickly changed my mind, and decided to give this stuff a shot. Boy am I glad I did!!

It will do 3-2-2-11 up to ~215 2.9V and still pass Memtest. I got random errors above that.

I'm now Priming (after passing Memtest) 3-2-3-11 at 228fsb w/ 2.9V on an Abit NFS-V2. 3-3-2-11 passed Prime at 228 for a couple hours earlier. <-- By the way, which is the better timing? -- 3-2-3-11, or 3-3-2-11? I'm scoring 3300 / 3090 in Sandra using single channel at 227 3-2-3-11.

I quickly went back to Newegg to order another stick. Now that I have my two, I decided to post here, knowing you guys will quickly order them all up.
congrats its great news.. this is what i was hoping for when i started this thread.

i gave my sticks a little try because i don't have time today, i will do properly later!

they are running stable @ dual channel so:

210Mhz @ 2.5-2-2-11 @ 2.6vdimm

so far so good....

K4mui said:
Well, of course do the results differ if taken from different platforms- but if the tests are all made on an A64- platform, same timings, it should be possible to compare- and that's what I want to know, if they will run similar.

Or is it just not possible to tell if they have the same advantage over other RAMs like the EB? [Meaning the (EB)3-2-2 = (rest)2-2-2 and the reaction to the "2" on RAS-to-CAS and RAS- precharge.]

Sorry if I don't get it if it's impossible, and another sorry for being obstinate ;) :burn:

Your questions are fair questions. The following is strictly my opinion and many may (or probably) will disagree.

I'll start by stating that I do think that you can determine TENDENCIES.

If you sit there and run your bechmarks and do all your comparisons, in the end what you will have is verification of how a specific ram does, compared to other ram tested on that SPECIFIC system. You then take the same sticks that you just tested to another rig (same A64 platform, for example), and after running the same tests, your results may or may not differ from the first test results. That is why just about every review that you read will state that your results may vary from theirs.

You then run this same testing procedure, using a specific brand of ram across 100 or 1000 systems set up the same way and then you will have a very good idea of how that ram performs on that platform and on that specific motherboard model. You would then have to test this on all the major board makes and models before you could draw a valid conclusion, as to what the expected results would be under each of the different scenarios (board makes and models). Not a practical test and no one does it for all the right reasons (time and money), so we do the next best thing and read what everyone posts in this and other forums and we try to develop our own opinion about the tendency of a particular brand of ram (OCZ, Micron, Crucial), with a particular chip (Micron -5B C, for example) on a particular platform (A64, P4, XP). In the end, however, there is no guarantee that the next guy that buys it will get the same results as the guy who posted his results. Just read this thread from start to finish and you will get a snapshot of this process. The reported results here range from several guys having reported good results, to others not, some using Crucial, some using Buffalo Tech and some with OCZ EB Series. Different implementations of the same Micron chips with varying results, even within the same brand. I have drawn my personal conclusions about these products, but they are no more valid than the next guys.

In the end, I just don't think you can get more than a general idea of what to expect. Should they perform similar? You would think that yes, they should, the problem is that they don't always do what they should. The variables during the manufacturing of motherboards, ICs, DRAM modules, and the rest of the components are just too great and this impacts on everyone's results to varying degrees.

Uh, good text- but still not what I wanted to know.

I give it a last shot:
OCZ's EB have some features allowing them to be faster than other RAM (enhanced bandwith- technology).
And I wanted to know for sure if this depends on the ICs, the PCBs or whatever?

And do the "C" revision differ from the "G" revision concerning that?

I hope I do not get on your nerves,

Kamui

K4mui said:

I give it a last shot:
OCZ's EB have some features allowing them to be faster than other RAM (enhanced bandwith- technology).

Kamui

my friend it is probably a combination of all the afore mentioned.. hand
qualified chips.. very good (no noise pcb's). since they get hand picked ic's from the source they can get any bin that runs good right from the get go... since i saw that the original ocz eb pc3700 used the c rev micron chips.. that was a good start.. but who the hell really knows what these boutique memory makers use on their brand new stuff cause someone has to buy it and peel the hs away to see.. heck the new eb could VErY well be the g revision

K4mui said:

I give it a last shot:

Kamui

I apologize for my offbase response and long ramblings. My misunderstanding, and no, not getting on my nerves (yet :) ). j/k

There is a whitepaper by OCZ (which I believe is linked at their site) that discusses the EB concept. I believe that they claim it is a programming thing within the circuitry, which gives them their (alledged?) performance boost. Whether, as flapper alluded to, this performance is also enhanced by cherry picked ICs will probably be debated for quite a while. In a review done by Anandtech of the PC3700, the chip displayed was the Micron -5B C, however, the article states that OCZ claims that they use other chips. If this is in fact the case, then it would be their technology and not the chips used in the tested ram, which would be providing the performance benefits. It is justs hard to identify exactly what is producing the most benefit here. In addition, I don't know how many people have actually pulled of the spreaders on their very expensive ram to see if they are all Micron chips? That curiosity would void warranty on pricey ram and only a few hardcores are willing to do that. If you haven't done so already, go read the whitepaper and make your own determination.

I hope that this response (while not definite in its conclusion) is closer to the topic that you are wishing to discuss.

when i first posted this i was just hoping maybe we found another good pool of chips to draw from. reefa/k4mui and a few others really got deep into this thread and really provided a wealth of info. kudo to u guys...

yeah the ocz eb does seem to be somthign within the circutry. cuz the ram doesnt like to work well unlees its at certian timings.

see my ocz eb breakthrough thread.

flapperhead said:
when i first posted this i was just hoping maybe we found another good pool of chips to draw from. reefa/k4mui and a few others really got deep into this thread and really provided a wealth of info. kudo to u guys...

I'm sorry for any disturbance I caused. But I'm still interested in these chips... And still wondering where to get them here in Germany, or even in Europe... does anyone know a shopp here? I think the A-DATA will do fine as well, but I think the mT-5bc are just the best you can get right now. And even the mT-5bg seem to be very good.

Refeera, you don't need to apologize! In fact, I'm very thankful for your text since it was again very interesting to read.

I would actually love to know who you are... and how you can be certain that they can't be found here... still not giving up.
And of course that wasn't helpful- it really made it worse :D

i am very sorry kamui, wish i could help you... :)
and if you are searching for these sticks @ geizhals.de give it up, believe me you will not find anything.... sorry to tell you that but it is the fact! unfortunately these sticks aren't available in europe!

K4mui said:
I'm sorry for any disturbance I caused. But I'm still interested in these chips... And still wondering where to get them here in Germany, or even in Europe... does anyone know a shopp here? I think the A-DATA will do fine as well, but I think the mT-5bc are just the best you can get right now. And even the mT-5bg seem to be very good.

Refeera, you don't need to apologize! In fact, I'm very thankful for your text since it was again very interesting to read.

i was just giving u and the reefa man(and others i cant think of just now) a much deserved thnx, for all the work and help u gave to everyone in this thread...

flapperhead said:
i was just giving u and the reefa man(and others i cant think of just now) a much deserved thnx, for all the work and help u gave to everyone in this thread...

Ups- well, when I reread it a few seconds ago I realized that... too late, unfortuanatelly...

And far far away, there is not only geizhals, some traders might have them in stock- they are mounted on KVR, Mircons etc
How long have you been looking for them?

johan851 said:
You know guys...I don't think you're really missing much. :-/

i know what you mean johan, because your 5B C didn't do well, but for me it's too late, i already got my sticks... and at the time they are running fine (210Mhz @ 2,5-2-2-11 @ 2.6), i didn't test them further...
i hope they will do fine when i will test them, unfotunately i don't have any time these days, have to learn for a big test! :(

Back