• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

* HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home *

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep... the new v7 client will change the game - significantly. I'm currently in the dark almost as much as the general Folding population is... however, I have been in touch with the v7 developer and I'm going to help define the new data collection interface for accessing the new client. :) That's about all I can say... other than that work hasn't even begun yet.

Oh....you can't tease me like that. Spill the beans...or at least send me a PM. :p

I am glad to know that you are "in the know" as your tool is much too valuable to become obsolete. We luvz it! :thup:

Anything in the works to have an ipad/iphone app to be able to monitor HFM.net on the home comp? I used teamviewer now to log onto the desktop to check it while out, but it would be ten times faster to tap an app, especially when band width is to slow to run Teamviewer.

Ahhh, OK -- it is a .NET app, I should have thought of that. Works great now, thank you! :thup:

Maybe not the number of atoms, but something that gives us...I dunno...a way to classify WUs? I bring this up, as there are changes "promised" coming up for CPU and GPU WUs, different clients, etc. Thought it might be a good idea to have a way to know which WU a rig is folding w/o having to memorize the WUs.

Guess I could just print out the list or something -- simple solution ;)

There are only 4 -bigadv WUs... and 3 of them are in sequence: P2684/2685/2686 and P2692.

As long as the WU is using 100% of your cores, and isn't P6xxx, then it's a -bigadv WU (I'm ignoring P2633... odds are if you're doing -bigadv and get one of those, you'll have completed it before you notice :p).

EDIT: Blah, replied to this not knowing there were more posts on the next page...

Anything in the works to have an ipad/iphone app to be able to monitor HFM.net on the home comp? I used teamviewer now to log onto the desktop to check it while out, but it would be ten times faster to tap an app, especially when band width is to slow to run Teamviewer.

That's what web generation is for. I use it to monitor my rigs via the browser on my Droid all the time. :)

You either need some public web space where you can upload the html via FTP or a box on your home network setup with a web server. I personally use the latter.

I'm not saying that a true iPhone and/or Andriod app wouldn't be cool... it would. However, I've got to wait and see where Stanford goes with the v7 client before I go to that level of effort. A lot of which would just be getting setup and familiar with the the languages and environments to even begin development of such apps. I am but one man... with a day job no less. ;)

There are only 4 -bigadv WUs... and 3 of them are in sequence: P2684/2685/2686 and P2692.
EDIT: Blah, replied to this not knowing there were more posts on the next page...
True, but this may change in the future. It's just one less thing to think about I suppose.
(All good, thanks for the info either way :))

That's what web generation is for. I use it to monitor my rigs via the browser on my Droid all the time. :)
Ya I need to get that setup myself...may look into that soon :D

Oh yeah, forgot about the web gen. I'll try to mess with it... Never tried to make a web page before
Thankfully, HFM makes the page/html for you...basically you just have to dump it somewhere like harlam was talking about. I'm thinking over FTP myself, but any number of ways would work. :thup:

Hmm, is there a way to make HFM show PPD without the bonuses? My quad is showing up as it should be doing about 4.5K PPD. But that cant be right, since it takes the CPU almost 24 hours to complete a 921 point WU... The PPD on the Q6600 should not be much higher than 1k PPD...

Edit -> Preferences -> Options -> 'Calculate Bonus Credit and PPD'.

However, the PPD for your machine (Q6600) is right when the bonus is applied. Notice that the actual number that is changed with the bonus system is the Credit. HFM also reflects this number in the primary grid, what you see there will be much higher than the stock 921 points. The PPD is then calculated based on that bonus credit, which in turn results in bonus PPD.

I think everything is operating as it should... but if you want to check there is the option to turn off the bonuses... in fact, there will be a hotkey option in v0.6.0 to do the same thing but without having to go to the Preferences dialog to do it.

Thanks Harlam, its a really nice program you have made here :) Appreciate the work your doing for your fellow folders.

New Version: 0.6.0 - Revision 249 - Beta - Download

I'm proud to bring you all two pretty big feature additions to this version of HFM. The first is the addition of the Work Unit History Viewer and Database. This database supersedes the CompletedUnits.csv file that has been written with information on completed work units prior to this version. Check the Tools menu.

You also have the option to Import your CompletedUnits.csv file so we don't leave all that good data you've been collecting with no where to go. There were some inconsistencies in the manner HFM wrote to the CompeltedUnits.csv file so I've done my best to write the Import to only process *Good* data that can be verified without a whole lot of fuss. The Import will weed out any duplicate entries in the file and also give you option to "fix-up" the entries in the file that were unable to be imported. Here are a couple likely scenarios:

- p6701/6702 have an issue with a comma in the work unit name. You can safely remove the ENTIRE work unit name from those entries. The import completely ignores the work unit name value. Once the bad entries file is clean-up up you can Import that file and only those entries by performing another Import on that file.

You can find the WU Database file in the HFM Data Files. See the Help menu. The file name is WuHistory.db3. If don't feel like you got everything Imported the way you want you can simply delete that file and try again.

Example:

Code:
BAD:  6701,p6701_VSD in POPC and water, neutralized,Windows SMP - Main Workstation,...

GOOD: 6701,,Windows SMP - Main Workstation,..

- International users are likely out of luck using the CompletedUnits.csv Import unless you want to script or hand convert your CompletedUnits.csv file to be formatted in United States English format. The issues here include decimal numbers written with commas and date values not in en-US format. I apologize to any of you this will effect but this Import is a one off deal and I made the decision to keep it simple and not attempt to write a bunch of code to fix this one time deal. The software is Beta and issues like this are the reason I continue to label it as such.

The second big addition is the ability to Merge Client Data from other instances of HFM. For example, you have clients running at work and would like to monitor them in conjunction with your clients running at home. However, you do not have access to all the log files over HTTP or FTP. The solution, the HFM instance at work can act as a data collector using the Web Generation option 'Copy Client Data to Target' to place a ClientData.dat file in a location exposed by a HTTP or FTP server. Then on your home machine you can use the Clients -> Merge Client Data option to point HFM to that data file. Once retrieved the clients monitored by the remote instance of HFM will be visible in the local instance IN A READ-ONLY FASHION. You cannot edit or otherwise control the remote clients. It's simply a data merge.

What else? FahMon Import support has been removed from the main code base. It is now available as a Plugin. Download and read the readme.txt file for instructions on getting it installed. There are also new hotkey options (Alt+O) and (Alt+P) to cycle the Bonus and PPD Calculation options respectively.

Check the HFM Google Code page for downloads and details on the changes. As always, if you need to find me quickly, see below. I usually answer pretty quickly.

---

Need help with HFM? Have a Feature Request? Please Join the Discussions. Post in the HFM Google Group.

http://groups.google.com/group/hfm-net

One issue noted:
On both my systems, after I upgraded to your latest flavor; after a system restart, HFM boots up like I want it but all clients are "grayed out." However, once I close it out and then open it again, all is peachy. Just a minor annoyance. I will see if I can put a delay on it when windows boots to see if that fixes it. Maybe it requires other services to be started first, before HFM auto boots, but your program rocks, hence the quickness it loads in windows :)

Last edited:
One issue noted:
On both my systems, after I upgraded to your latest flavor; after a system restart, HFM boots up like I want it but all clients are "grayed out." However, once I close it out and then open it again, all is peachy. Just a minor annoyance. I will see if I can put a delay on it when windows boots to see if that fixes it. Maybe it requires other services to be started first, before HFM auto boots, but your program rocks, hence the quickness it loads in windows :)
Did the same thing to me. I didn't report because I thought it might be an isolated incident. Haven't rebooted again to see what happens.

EDIT: Same thing happened after a reboot. All clients gray, and hitting "Refresh All" doesn't fix it. Only a close and restart of HFM.net gets things working again.

Last edited:
Either of you running with the "Auto-Run" feature? If so, can you turn it off and then start manually after reboot to see if that alleviates the issue?

Please, both of you send me your HFM.log file found in Help -> Log File. You can find me at gmail.com.

I sent my logs as well. Interesting to note, with the AutoStart enabled, HFM starts but the clients remain gray. However, they DO update, as I see progress in the client log window. But the PPD and Progress remain at 0. :screwy:

This one was easy to diagnose with the logs you both provided. I should have caught this before going public with the build. The problem comes from the "Working Folder" used when HFM is started via the Auto-Run registry key. Windows starts the process from the folder "C:\Windows\System32" and the expected "Working Folder" is the location of the .exe file. It's trying to load the proper SQLite dll and can't find it... really, I'd rather the app just exit before it gets the UI up and make you think it's working. That way you would have known that something is wrong instead of just guessing or thinking it was a fluke.

So yes, in the meantime, auto-run is broken. :(

I'll likely issue a fix for this in a few days... waiting to see if anything else serious needs addressing. Thanks to you both for pointing this out.

Back