• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

* HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home *

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
New Version: 0.6.1 - Revision 251 - Beta - Download

A quick update to fix an issue with 0.6.0 and the Auto-Run option. No other changes. I apologize to those using Auto-Run that this issue has effected.

Check the HFM Google Code page for downloads and details on the changes. As always, if you need to find me quickly, see below. I usually answer pretty quickly.

---

Need help with HFM? Have a Feature Request? Please Join the Discussions. Post in the HFM Google Group.

http://groups.google.com/group/hfm-net

No problem... really was a simple fix. Ah, growing pains... I need some pre-Release testers who use Auto-Run, I can easily forget to test it... obviously. :chair: I think we're going to rectify that situation. :)

Oh - MEH - GAWD! This is too CUTE!! I have to *totally* use this for my shopping status!!! Harlam, you are the bestest ever!! Us elfs are helping out Santa give WU gifts to all the good boys and girls.

Thanks for making, like, such a ~totally~ awesome program Harlam! :santa:

PS -- Here is the info on our annual WU gifting:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6662195

xoxoxo
-Elf Jenny

Last edited:
HFM.NET ROCKS!
hfm3.png

Also, gotta love folding in winter.

HFM.NET ROCKS!
hfm3.png

Also, gotta love folding in winter.

Yes HFM rocks!

I fold like this(winter or summer)

I have to get down to my buddy's house to get SKULLY and UPPY i7 stable. He has another i7 that he's using to mock up a tractor trailer build for a buddy and then that one will be online, as well as jdsparks other i7 here in less than a month. I think we'll see 200k+ppd from my name here soon(for a while anyways):rock::rock::rock:

I'm getting the following error every *other* time I start HFM. The first time I try to start I can just catch some kind of screen animation that looks like it thinks its opening a window, and then when I try again I get this.

Code:
HFM.NET v0.6.1.251

Unix 2.6.32.27

Single Instance Helper Failed to Start.

Exception Thrown:
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Connection refused

Server stack trace: 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.HostConnectionPool.CreateConnection () [0x00000] 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.HostConnectionPool.GetConnection () [0x00000] 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.UnixConnectionPool.GetConnection (System.String path) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.UnixClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage (IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, System.IO.Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, System.IO.Stream& responseStream) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.UnixBinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage (IMessage msg) [0x00000] 

Exception rethrown at [0]: 

at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.HostConnectionPool.CreateConnection () [0x00000] 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.HostConnectionPool.GetConnection () [0x00000] 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.UnixConnectionPool.GetConnection (System.String path) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.UnixClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage (IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, System.IO.Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, System.IO.Stream& responseStream) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix.UnixBinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage (IMessage msg) [0x00000]

Ubuntu 10.04

Hey NV,

I've had several reports of this on Linux systems. I've looked a little more closely at the problem and I've been able to replicate it as follows:

1. Start HFM
2. Kill the Process (don't use File > Exit, Alt+F4, or the standard "X" on the window) - manually kill the process
3. Start HFM again

What's probably happening is you have HFM set to Run Minimized. So the first time you start it, you see it flash on the screen for just a second, then it disappears. Likely because it isn't set to dock in the TaskBar but the SystemTray instead (which is the default). Many Linux Desktops don't have a true SystemTray... so the application gets lost. I may change the default to dock in both locations as this would really help Linux users.

So you likely kill the process and start again. The Mono runtime isn't as graceful about cleaning up the resources from the first instance; so when you start the new instance HFM thinks there is still an instance of the application running, even though you killed it. Based on that, HFM attempts to communicate with the other process it thinks is running... and that's where we get this exception, because the other process is indeed NOT there. Again, this is a Mono/Linux issue and not something I can replicate on Windows.

I have some ideas about how to thwart this on Linux in future releases... but until then all I can do is help you stop HFM from running minimized. To do so you'll need to delete the user.config file. You can find it on your Linux box in the following:

~/.local/share/harlam357/HFM.exe_StrongName_xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/user.config

The "xxxx" in the path above is just senseless characters, so I'm not replicating them there. Just keep digging in that folder. You'll find it.

I found this in the file you pointed to:

Code:
<setting name="RunMinimized" serializeAs="String">
    <value>False</value>

Deleting the file and trying to start HFM again gave me the same behavior.

:/

Idk man... I don't have Ubuntu 10.04 loaded. I validated this on Ubuntu 10.10. At least the issue with killing the process and the message on the next run. Can you confirm to me that is what you're doing?

Why the UI won't show up is another mystery. I just figured that had to be it because I know the Run Minimized option will yield such behavior (showing for a second and then minimizing).

I'm actually not closing it at all, just clicking the launcher I created for it twice.

First it was opening fine, but when I went to close it it would do something funny... it would disappear from the window list, but the window would stay up, and for some reason when I minimized it it would go away. So that happened a number of times, and then one time when I closed it I got this same message a bunch of times, can't remember what it was. It must have been one from each time I had opened HFM. Then after that it started doing what its doing now.

It doesn't seem very reproducible, I just thought I'd post the error in case it made it clear what was happening.

Hmmm, ok. My linux ninja is pretty low... so what I usually do is just run it from the terminal.

mono HFM.exe

Maybe the launcher has something to do with it? :shrug: I'll admit, Mono support is iffy at best... and I don't spend a slew of time on it. Every different distro can have a slightly different version compiled specifically for that distro. I probably shouldn't mention Mono "support" at all... but I try my best to keep the code compatible and running on Mono; which means I do test it on the official openSUSE Mono VMs before releasing. There are quirks, but for the most part it should work.

Bumpage

8d6f6c87_Bump3.jpg

For any new folders who might not be aware of HFM.NET

The best Folding@home monitoring application there is!! :thup:

Back