• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High End Gaming Build - Advice Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bendicott

So I have never built a machine before, I wanted something I wont have to touch or upgrade for quite some time and will be able to run every game i throw at it at maxed out settings. Let me know what you guys think or changes I can make. I included everything I'm buying. If its a bad build or I need something else please let me know. I really appreciate the help.

i7-4280k - Quad Core
Asus Sabertooth x79 TUF Motherboard
Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 3 16 GB (2x8)
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Full Tower
Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler
Azza 1000 Watt Titan ATX Power Supply
EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB GDDR5
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
LG 14x BLu-Ray Burner
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450 mbps
Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Blue Fan x2
Cooler Master Thermal Compound

So I have never built a machine before, I wanted something I wont have to touch or upgrade for quite some time and will be able to run every game i throw at it at maxed out settings. Let me know what you guys think or changes I can make. I included everything I'm buying. If its a bad build or I need something else please let me know. I really appreciate the help.

i7-4280k - Quad Core
Asus Sabertooth x79 TUF Motherboard
Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 3 16 GB (2x8)
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Full Tower
Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler
Azza 1000 Watt Titan ATX Power Supply
EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB GDDR5
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
LG 14x BLu-Ray Burner
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450 mbps
Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Blue Fan x2
Cooler Master Thermal Compound

I'll try to be as thorough as possible.
Firstly, the socket you've chosen, socket 2011, is 3 years old. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as there are still very relevant and powerful cpus for it, but those may not be in your budget, or be suited to your needs.
If you're looking at the 4820, that's a quad core hyperthreaded part. You're better off with socket 1150 and the slightly more powerful 4770K cpu, which is also a quad core, hyperthreaded part.

If you want to stick with socket 2011, you should be looking at the 4930K (about $600), which is a six core hyperthreaded part (12 threads). What benefit do you get, as a gamer, from the six core part? None at the moment. Games will, in the near future, be starting to take advantage of situations where more than 4 threads are available. It is conceivable, though not demonstrated or proven, that a game running 6 threads will perform better when 6 physical cores can be dedicated to it on a 6 core cpu, than it will on a 4 core cpu where 6 of 8 possible threads are being used, but hyperthreading is being employed, meaning 2 threads per core (except on the last core) are in play.

What I think most people would recommend that you do is go with a 4770K and a Z87 socket 1150 motherboard. If you want something with wireless and bluetooth built in, look at ASUS' Z87 Deluxe board. If you just want to get into the game on an affordable board, look at the ASUS Z87-A. I like Asus. I've never had a dead or defective part from them out of the box.

The CPU cooler you chose is really quite bad. Look at the Corsair H100i, H105. Also the Phanteks dual tower and Noctua NHD14 are good coolers. Don't cheap out. It'll hurt your overclocking ability.
Stick with the 2x8GB of RAM (which would have been incorrect on the 2011 board you chose. Those are quad channel boards so you want 4 sticks of RAM not 2). Stick with the 780 (though it may be more advisable to go with a 4GB R9 290 instead. The more VRAM you have, the more future proofed you will be.

Also, that powersupply you chose. A little meh. Look at Corsair and Seasonic. Bronze certified is good. Silver gold or platinum is better.

Btw, that case?
animonalisa3up4rk.gif

Way cooler and more effective designs out there for $50. JM2C.

If you go with an ASUS board, I'd look at G.Skill memory. ASUS seems to put a lot of effort into making sure their BIOS works well with G.Skill memory.

Switching between Theocnoob's post and a picture of the subject of that post is a truly surreal experience.

ok quick advice for high end...

Modern socket, quality power, great cooling and the best GPU(s) you can get your hands on.

The case is totally personal as long as it gets the cooling done.

Back