• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temps on a p3 800Mhz (no oc) and swiftech mcx370...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

I dunno whats going on, with my intel mobo, intel thermal paste and stock cooling i had 31ºC idle- 36º load. No i wanted to overclodk this p3 800Mhz 100Mhz bus a little, so i bought an abit st6 mobo and a swiftech mcx370 heatsink. I insalled them using artic alumina, and now my reported temps are 39ºC idle and 48º load !!! :eek: :confused: i repeat, no overclocking at all... The only mod i did is the 7v mod to the noisy papst fan the heatsink had already on, but it feels much better airflow than stock one...

I plan to reaply artic silver III using the same setup, but i cant find pure acetone or isopropyl alcohol anywhere around here... Any ideas???

yeah, i know what ur problem is i have exactly the same setup as you. with pentium 3 slot fans, there is a temperature probe by the slot, this probe is very inaccurate and so with different mobo's u'll see very big differences in temperatures. if you remove the processor you will see the probe, its quite a distance from the processor core. the best thing is to get an external temperature probe and stick it right on the heat sink beside the core.

Stock hs and fan i've oc'd my p3 800 to 824mhz, not much but noticeable in games (about 10 extra fps). I tried 900mhz but it ran a little unstable and crashed a few times.

im not sure 100% since i only use the crappy mobo temp thing. It would be a lot higher realistically by around 10 deg im guessing but im not sure exactly. Mine runs about 39 deg on standard fan and 35 deg on new fan. i dont think the new fan makes that much difference its just because of its shape the probe cant read temperatures as well. the new fan ive got in there isnt brilliant, its just a cheap one too lol.

does the job though.

as i said im not exactly sure how much higher but i do know its higher. im using some crappy white thermal grese at the moment, its fine for me. i think the instability from oc'ing my 800 to 900mhz came from the inability to increase the core voltages on my mobo.

Back