• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do I get rid of popup "like" buttons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I have been trying to find a addon for Firefox to unplug the "like and tweet" buttons that seem to polute my internet experience everywhere I go lately...I clicked on a link to a story on Moneymorning.com and I cannot read the story, because the like and tweet buttons are in the way, and they will not go away.

I'm really getting tired of Facebook and twitter intruding in every aspect of my computing experience and is leaving a bad taste.

I'm about ready to tell FB to FO...I don't spend much time there anyhow...I only have an account to get ahold of relatives that I would otherwise not know of.

I suppose that if I actually "like" the page that the buttons will go away, but the little widget doesn't give a choice to turn it off, the only choice is which button you click.
No link to the webmaster of that site, or I would complain directly and tell them that I cannot read anything while that group of buttons hides the text I want to read.

Edit: I clicked on "like" and the annoying buttons are still there. What a pain. Seems like some days I'm the bug and not the windshield :edit

some stupid people will do anything for money...like destroying their own webpage just to put a couple of clickable buttons to generate extra cash. eff them if they are that greedy.

I'm sure there is a FF addon that will let me remove this garbage, but I'm having a hard time finding one.
Thanks for reading my rant,
Doc

Last edited:
I have been trying to find a addon for Firefox to unplug the "like and tweet" buttons that seem to polute my internet experience everywhere I go lately...I clicked on a link to a story on Moneymorning.com and I cannot read the story, because the like and tweet buttons are in the way, and they will not go away.

I'm really getting tired of Facebook and twitter intruding in every aspect of my computing experience and is leaving a bad taste.

I'm about ready to tell FB to FO...I don't spend much time there anyhow...I only have an account to get ahold of relatives that I would otherwise not know of.

I suppose that if I actually "like" the page that the buttons will go away, but the little widget doesn't give a choice to turn it off, the only choice is which button you click.
No link to the webmaster of that site, or I would complain directly and tell them that I cannot read anything while that group of buttons hides the text I want to read.

some stupid people will do anything for money...like destroying their own webpage just to put a couple of clickable buttons to generate extra cash. eff them if they are that greedy.

I'm sure there is a FF addon that will let me remove this garbage, but I'm having a hard time finding one.
Thanks for reading my rant,
Doc

+1 that would be usefull

Take a look here. This is a thread about the FB, Twitter and Digg buttons at OCForums, and various ways to make them go away before Matt made a switch. I think Adblock plus and NoScript were used.

If the script/pictures are being loaded from Twitter/Facebook's site, it should be extremely easy to block them AdBlock Plus.

You could block them based on their name if it varies, but that has the chance of going really wrong.

Do you run Ad Block Plus on Firefox? Post a pic of what you are trying to block please. I THINK I know what you are referring to but I want to be sure.

If it is what I think it is, I am pretty sure I have them set up to be blocked in ADP and might be able to dig through to pull the rule out.

Are you logged into your Facebook and twitter accounts on that computer that's getting those pop-ups? If so, log out and see if those buttons go away. I don't use Facebook or twitter, but I'd be willing to bet this is what's happening while you're still logged on to them. I could be wrong, though.:D

If the above fails, definitely give AdBlock a try.

there is a thread around here on just this I can't remember who wrote it or the title.

Back