• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Fast Dose Ur Hard Drive Delete?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mista ting

I Just Deleted a folder containg massive dvd files, and pictures total 50GB off my computer and it deleted INSTANTLY!!! just as i pressed delete poof gone!! no loading! i was suprized cause my old compaq comp takes 10 mins to delete 5GB :eek:

Western Digital Special Edition
80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive
Model WD800JB
ATA-100

Attachments

• wd.jpg
    wd.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I hope you realise that it is not really deleted, and I could easily recover the files. When you delete files in windows, it doesn't do anything to the actual files.

Thats nothing.

Try deleting over 50GB of Internet explorer Temp files.

Trust me, 50GB in LARGE files are nothing, since the numbers are less.

violineb said:
I think that it doesn´t really 'write zeros' to that part of the drive but rather just tells the MFT that it can write stuff over that part of the drive. I´m not sure, it´s just my hypothesis. Could someone else elaborate on this?
Yes, this is basically all it does, which is why it takes longer to delete lots of small files instead of a few huge ones.

Windows does not delete any files on your hard drive when you hit delete or empty your recycle bin. All it does is mark that section of the hard drive clear for overwriting with new data when it comes through the system.

When you delete 50 gb of files, it will stay on the hard drive until another 50 gb of files comes along and is overwritten on top of it.

Plus you are comparing a 7200 RPM drive and 8 mb cache with a 5400 RPM or possibly 4200 RPM drive with 2mb cache... of course it's going to be faster with the newer drive! The fact that it is SATA has nothign to do with it!

Back