• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How low will Crucial go? Does 2x1GB 6400 Tracers for $25 after rebates sound good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
How low will Crucial go? Does 2x1GB 6400 Tracers for $25 after rebates sound good?

Edit:

*********** NOW OUT OF STOCK ON THE TRACERS ***********

Regular Ballistix have the same deal going, though, perhaps some might even say an even better deal...see bottom of page #2 for details.

..........................................................................................................

Found this a Slickdeals while tracing something else down...

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-bal...-800mhz-240-pin-ddr2/q/loc/101/204588700.html

Here's the deal. 2x1GB kit of Tracer 6400s for $110, shipped and sign up for and pay with Buy.com VISA for an add'l $30 credited to your account (new accounts only), bringing it down to $80. Now claim your $55 mail in rebate from Crucial (good reputation for paying rebates) and your net cost is $25.

$110 - purchase price
(30) - credited to card
(55) - MIR

$ 25 - net cost with new credit card account or $55, if straight purchase, without opening a new C/C account.

Heck of a good price for a set of Tracers.

Last edited:
Option A - $25 after opening (and subsequently closing a month later, if you so choose) credit card account.

Option B - $55 without opening credit card account.

Seems like either way, the pricing is still attractive.

Of course, Option C is still available to you...$100+ at the store of your choice, without having to deal with any kind of rebates.

I kinda like having options, especially when they save me money.

A person could buy two sets for $220, less $55 rebate (limit of 1 per household) and less $30 credit to the C/C account and end up with 4 gigs of Ballistix Tracers for $135 net cost...just don't see how you could go wrong there. Not as good as buying with separate rebates, but still a decent price at under $70 per 2 gigs.

Call that "lame" if you like, but you will probably be among the few to do so.

Last edited:
Doesn't that screw with your credit score however?

First off, I'm going to presume that you are talking about closing the account vs. opening it.

What that does to your credit score depends on...

a) What it is to begin with. I wouldn't expect it to cause much more than a couple points on mine if I were to do it. I actually did open up one of these cards about a year ago for a printer purchase and the next time I checked my FICO it had zero impact. In my case, I did begin with a well-established history and in excess of the mid 700s.

b) With what frequency you open and close accounts. If concerned, then just keep the account open, buy a tankfull of gas every other month with it, pay it off when the bill comes in order to establish a good history with the account, then close it later if you choose. My comment about closing the account is only for those concerned about keeping multiply credit card accounts open.

c) How long before your next big purchase requiring a credit score. After all, if your credit score drops 20 points, but you have no intention of buying a home or car in the next 12 months, by the time you need your credit score for something, this will have minimal, if any impact.

If you are referring to opening account, then...

A) Pick one of the above (a, b, or c) :) as the impact will basically be the same.

i wonder if i should get these to go in combination with my 8000 tracers...

Doesn't that screw with your credit score however?

First off, I'm going to presume that you are talking about closing the account vs. opening it.

What that does to your credit score depends on...

a) What it is to begin with. I wouldn't expect it to cause much more than a couple points on mine if I were to do it. I actually did open up one of these cards about a year ago for a printer purchase and the next time I checked my FICO it had zero impact. In my case, I did begin with a well-established history and in excess of the mid 700s.

b) With what frequency you open and close accounts. If concerned, then just keep the account open, buy a tankfull of gas every other month with it, pay it off when the bill comes in order to establish a good history with the account, then close it later if you choose. My comment about closing the account is only for those concerned about keeping multiply credit card accounts open.

c) How long before your next big purchase requiring a credit score. After all, if your credit score drops 20 points, but you have no intention of buying a home or car in the next 12 months, by the time you need your credit score for something, this will have minimal, if any impact.

If you are referring to opening account, then...

A) Pick one of the above (a, b, or c) :) as the impact will basically be the same.

Every time a lender does a credit check for the purpose of lending money, it does lower your credit score. A credit pull to open a new charge account will have an impact of around 5 to 10 points. It's temporary and will be restored in 60 to 90 days.

And if you do open up the account, there is potential for further impact based on the credit line, your other open accounts, and the percentage of your overall credit that is in use.

I've gone over this with my wife several times. The bottom line is it's never really worth the trouble and score impact to open up a new line of credit unless it's going to save substantial money. Opening up a store account for a one time 10% discount probably isn't worth it in most cases. Same for opening an account to save $30 on a single purchase, or to get a $50 gas card reward. If I'm opening an unnecessary new account, there better be hundreds of dollars in it for me (like financing a multi-thousand dollar purchase on a 2-3 year no interest plan, that's worth it).

Every time a lender does a credit check for the purpose of lending money, it does lower your credit score. A credit pull to open a new charge account will have an impact of around 5 to 10 points. It's temporary and will be restored in 60 to 90 days.

And if you do open up the account, there is potential for further impact based on the credit line, your other open accounts, and the percentage of your overall credit that is in use.

I've gone over this with my wife several times. The bottom line is it's never really worth the trouble and score impact to open up a new line of credit unless it's going to save substantial money. Opening up a store account for a one time 10% discount probably isn't worth it in most cases. Same for opening an account to save $30 on a single purchase, or to get a $50 gas card reward. If I'm opening an unnecessary new account, there better be hundreds of dollars in it for me (like financing a multi-thousand dollar purchase on a 2-3 year no interest plan, that's worth it).

I went for the $30 buy.com some time ago and do regret it... cuz i've only used the card a few times after that, and the only reason was if i made a purchase at buy.com WITHOUT using GCO (which is rare)...

But I did once open a Case Freedom card for a $250 reward... well worth it... I still use the card and honestly don't care about interest rates as I always make the payments.

I see where you're coming from... a lotta ppl tell me what you're saying and although I've no idea where the truth lies, I seem to believe it... and for that reason I haven't opened up any more credit cards... b/c I am in fact looking to purchase a new car AND possibly an apartment/condo/co-op with my girlfriend.

+1 for what doublejack says.

getting a little reward is not worth the hassle of closing an account. i always fealt like the devil asking people to apply for sears cards when i worked there just so they could get $10-15 off. it wasn't really my choice though. it was part of the equal opportunity lending act where we had to ask everyone and leave it up to the system to turn them down.

also, having accounts open that you don't use affects the maximum amount that a bank will lend you. so if you have a card with a $10,000 limit that you never use, you might not be able to get a mortgage loan for enough when you look to buy. it's supposed to look good on your credit report to consistently use a certain percentage of your available credit. i think it's like 20-30%. it shows that you live within your means but still have the money available if you need it and that you consistently make your payments.

I'm not telling anyone to open or not open a credit card account. $55 without opening the account is still a good deal...however, net $25 after opening the account is a better deal in my mind, but to each his own.

I don't really look at it as simply saving $30, but more as an over a 50% savings (30/55) on the net cost of the 2 gigs. Seems like a good savings to me for the few minutes that it takes to fill out the app.

Based on "DJ's" own quantification of the impact, it is 5 to 10 points on your FICO and is gone in 60 to 90 days. If you're not planning on a house or car purchase in the next 3 months, then the real, tangible impact on your credit is, well, simply zero.

If anyone contemplating this has borderline credit scores or problems with running up credit cards balances then please don't do this as the $30 is certainly not worth the risk of running up more debt. In today's world your credit score is of upmost importance and you should manage it just like your bank account.

At the same time for those that have solid credit, this will have no impact and really folks, how much work is it to open or close an account...takes just about as much time as it does to post a couple times in this thread.

one more thing to add. when i was 17, my parents cosigned on a visa card with me. $500 limit and 18% interest. it didn't matter though cause i always paid it off by giving my parents the cash and they would write the checks for me. i mainly just used it to buy gas and food.

anywho, that was probably one of the best things they could have done for me. my credit score was rock solid by the time i was in my 20s which came in very handy when i applied for a card solo and anything else requiring a credit check like cell phones, leases, car loans. if there are any parents out there that want to help out their teens and teach them some responsibility, i think this is a great idea.
[/threadjack]

one more thing to add. when i was 17, my parents cosigned on a visa card with me. $500 limit and 18% interest. it didn't matter though cause i always paid it off by giving my parents the cash and they would write the checks for me. i mainly just used it to buy gas and food.

anywho, that was probably one of the best things they could have done for me. my credit score was rock solid by the time i was in my 20s which came in very handy when i applied for a card solo and anything else requiring a credit check like cell phones, leases, car loans. if there are any parents out there that want to help out their teens and teach them some responsibility, i think this is a great idea.
[/threadjack]
super ditto!!!

unfortunately, i used that mommy account with my co-sign even when i was purchasing 10k+ worth of stuff a yr... i was upset to find out it was building her score and not mine really... so i opened up my own account and banged out at LEAST 50-60k since... :)

i don't mind it when i'm the guy who has to buy tickets to UFC78 (yes, I'm going)... put $915 on my CC and I get to build my credit... :)

If you have friends you trust, don't be afraid to jump in and buy whatever it is yourself... just don't do it unless you're putting it on your card; otherwise, it's not as fun to shell out a lotta cash....

Back