• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many watts pelt do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dxiw

Disabled
Hi, I want to set up a pelt with my watercooling system, however I need one thats will cool my processor to about ambient or maybe 10 below, something in the range of 15-25C. I dont wan tto go too cold because I dont want condensation...also if the pelt is really powerful and you get to like -30 and it freezes can the ice conduct electricity or does it have to be liquid water?

My cpu is 2100+ o/c'd at about 80W now..with the good cooling I plan to go to 100W or so...how much of a pelt do I need to keep this thing idle at like 15C and stress 25C at an ambient of 27C? I'm trying to avoid condensation...if i will still get condensation anyways...then I'll go with a big 226w pelt...but how cold will this get it to? -20?

If you are going to push 100 watts, go for the 226 or dual 120s. Trust me, I've been there.

With a tbird 1.4 oc to 1650 @1.9vcore and a 122 watt peltier my full load temp was 19° C. A 122 or 156 watt peltier is your best bet.. especially if this is your first time using pelts. The results I have seen with the 226 watt peltiers are unimpressive to say the least.

mota said:
With a tbird 1.4 oc to 1650 @1.9vcore and a 122 watt peltier my full load temp was 19° C. A 122 or 156 watt peltier is your best bet.. especially if this is your first time using pelts. The results I have seen with the 226 watt peltiers are unimpressive to say the least.

One of the highest xp overclocks (non-LN2) is done with a chilled water 226w tec, Opp. I ran a 226w on my xp2200 for 2.2Ghz. Found that dual 156w tecs on the verticle got me a tad higher at 2.27Ghz. :(

mota - Do you think your outstanding results with low wattage pelts partially are due to your clamping mechanism?

Colin

Colin said:
mota - Do you think your outstanding results with low wattage pelts partially are due to your clamping mechanism?

Colin

I'm sure the clamp I use does contribute to my results. I also machined the copper coldplate and it is permanently bonded to the peltier. I also glue all the insulation to the peltier/coldplate assembly. I apply well over 100 psi to the pelt/block/cpu.

My straight water cooled temp was around 45° C. before using the 122 watt peltier.

A buddy of mine set up his 226 watt peltier last weekend and his full load temp was in the mid 20s. with an xp2200+ at 2125Mhz @1.75 vcore. His system has a huge rad. with dual 172mm fans an Iwaki MD20 pump and a swiftec block, really good equipment. His results are actually better than average for a 226 watt peltier(many people have temps in the mid 30s with 226watt pelts) but I believe the lack of internal surface area of his block is the reason he has temps in the 20s. Because his block can't move 300+ watts of heat effectively I am sure he could get better temps with a 156 watt peltier.

Check out his rig..
http://webpages.charter.net/mlhg01/

My recently upgraded rig is here.

Questions:

1) Dimension of a 226w tec vs dimension of a 156w tec.

2) Dimension of a xp2200 core vs dimension of a standard xp core

3) heat per cubic on xp2200 core vs same on standard xp core

Might help explain why Opp could not attain the temps (and more importantly speed) on dual 156w tecs that he was able to achieve on 226w tec. He used chilled water cooling on both. I believe standard cold plate dimmension/application on xp 2200 to not be optimum.

Well, I just ordered a 226watter from DangerDen, with 1/2" tubing, a Ehiem 1240 ~350gph pump, and a huge heater core with a 172mm fan on it. Waterproofed the socket yesterday. I'm lapping the block and carving out the fittings tonight and assembling it tomorrow.

Hopefully my 1.4 T-Bird should cool down around 10 degrees or less.

Go to a 3/8 or 1/2 inch cold plate. You have to try and incorporate the whole 48mm of the tec. The standard plate contained with the dd blocks (if you have one) is only 1/8 or so and will not suffice. The one I used was 1/4 inch thick. 3/8 should work well.

Really. I had never heard of that. How do I get a thicker coldplate?? I really do not have the materials or tools to make it. Where can I order one??

***EDIT*** I just checked my order and the cold plate accompanying my block is 3/8". Is that going to be thick enough??

Order it from metals on line. Order the dimension you want and all you will have to do is drill the four holes for the bolts to go through.

Back