• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do i need to photograph a solar eclipse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

i want to start looking for what i need now before it happens in october, if its even feasable

I live in the 90% band but to get totality isnt much a drive and i figured i might not get a chance in my life to try to do this again.
I dont have much at the moment, Just a Lumix G95 with a kit lens, an adapted enlarger lens (crazy looking but works strangely) and some basic filters. I've been trying to pin down a decent Slik tripod, i've had them in the past and really liked them.

i know i need a solar filter, i'm not sure whats best though.
any pointers?

Is there an astronomy club near where you live? If so they might be able to help you. You need to take this seriously because if you try to use an inadequate filter you could damage your camera or worse damage you eyes.

BTW, I used to have a solar filter for my telescope. I used to observe the sun all the time.

Note this is an annular eclipse, so in theory it is never safe to look unprotected directly at the sun (even through an optical viewfinder) during this event.

If the sun is visible, however small, I'd go for solar film. I know Baader make it, don't know if there are others https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/solar.html
This basically allows you to make a custom filter for whatever optics you're using that blocks a significant proportion of the suns light. They make two grades of it, one for direct viewing, and one for photography that lets through more light than the viewing grade. This makes it easier to get higher quality images if you know what you're doing, but the increased transmission means it is not suitable for direct viewing.

Oh, consider the size of the sun. You can practice with the moon since they're near enough the same. Also it isn't static in the sky so you'll have to get used to following it.

Note if you use the film, you're unlikely to see much surface detail. Maybe sunspots if there are any present. Below are some examples I took during a partial eclipse in 2015 by this method. There was some thin cloud which actually makes it more interesting. There's nothing visible on the surface other than one sunspot.

10003575_722526807867050_6499516890901410471_o.jpg 10927171_722526754533722_7202717942677052067_o.jpg 11017036_722526851200379_2306790758295565367_o.jpg

This next one is not of an eclipse, but is another example I took during the transit of Venus (the big black spot at the edge) in 2012. Again, some sunspots are visible but not really much else.

179374_227745777345158_1919768321_n.jpg

If you want more surface detail, it'll cost more and take more work too. Following images, on the right taken with a H-alpha filter, and on the left, a (relatively) cheap CaK filter.

1899840_525671630885903_1027766549_o.jpg

In both cases I used a monochrome camera because the output of the filters is a narrow bandwidth at the extremes of visible light, so conventional colour cameras will have much worse effective resolution than normal. You can optionally false colour it, but looking at my attempts now, they're rather comical.

For the H-alpha image, I used the Coronado Personal Solar Telescope. This is a complete telescope for the purposes of viewing the sun. If you want to connect your existing camera you'll have to work out what adapters are needed to enable that. You might be able to replace the eyepiece, or use eyepiece projection.

For the CaK image I used what I think is an older version of this: https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/solar/cak/calcium-gen-ii-125"-with-lpfc.html but again you're going to have to work out how to use it. The filter is not that big, so wont be suitable for many image paths.

I know I also bought an OIII filter but I don't seem to have any examples of using it that I can find. It could in theory enhance feature contrast for otherwise "white light" images but I guess I didn't have any luck with that.

Like many hobbies, what you get out of it depends on how much you put in, both in effort learning the stuff, and cash is always a helpful enabler.

maybe i am looking for the wrong thing then, i'm not planning on something that close, i was thinking something more along the lines of this:

probably wont do that time lapse thing but thats more for what i was going for, i'm not sure if i would need a heafty solar filter like you would use for getting up close and personal with the sun, or for a telescope.

i've picked a spot about 2 hours away thats going to be as close to totality as i can get, i'm going to scout it tomorrow or later this weekend

The safe option remains that the sun should be filtered at all times other than totality of a total solar eclipse. If you're not doing a time lapse like that example, will you only be doing totality? A problem remains the one you're going to is an annular so the sun is never sufficiently covered to be considered totally safe. You can risk it anyway without a filter, particularly during totality. I have to admit I've directly shot into the sun unfiltered with a wide angle lens, and the camera survived. You might need consideration to get the exposure of the landscape right.

The example linked I'd guess the sun should have been shot filtered at all times outside totality. During totality it can be removed, and the exposure can also capture the landscape. The blending afterwards can balance the apparent brightness.

Solar film remains the low cost way to get a filter, but using it will probably make landscape not practical.

Once the eclipse reaches the totality phase, it's safe for naked eye viewing and you'll need to remove your camera filter to photograph the corona. However if even a sliver of the sun's photosphere is showing, protective filtering for eyes and camera sensors is required. It would be very handy to have at least two cameras on a tracker so you don't have to be fiddling with equipment instead of enjoying the eclipse visually. However this is advice for the 4/8/2024 total eclipse.

The October 2023 annular eclipse is never going to be total so keep all you protective filters on at all times. You might also want to capture pictures of dappled tree shadows on the ground, buildings and other objects which will all be crescents and eventually O's. It's quite amazing.

i want to start looking for what i need now before it happens in october, if its even feasable

I live in the 90% band but to get totality isnt much a drive and i figured i might not get a chance in my life to try to do this again.
I dont have much at the moment, Just a Lumix G95 with a kit lens, an adapted enlarger lens (crazy looking but works strangely) and some basic filters. I've been trying to pin down a decent Slik tripod, i've had them in the past and really liked them.

i know i need a solar filter, i'm not sure whats best though.
any pointers?
Hey there, fellow eclipse enthusiast! 🌑 It's awesome that you're aiming for the full totality experience. There's something magical about those moments, right?

Your gear lineup sounds pretty cool – the Lumix G95 with that adapted lens is quite the combo! And hey, improvisation is all part of the fun. 😄

For that perfect eclipse shot, you're on the right track with a tripod, especially a reliable one like Slik. Stability is key for capturing those precise moments.

As for solar filters, safety first! You're totally right to be cautious. Make sure to get a proper solar filter that fits your lens diameter snugly. The ideal filter would block out harmful light while allowing you to capture the eclipse's beauty.

A couple of pointers:

1. Research Reliable Filters: Look for reputable brands that specialize in solar filters. Read reviews and maybe check with other eclipse chasers for recommendations.
  2. Test Beforehand: Try practicing with the solar filter before the big day. This will help you get comfortable with the setup and settings.
  3. Location Matters: Plan your shooting location in advance. A clear view of the sky and minimal light pollution will make a big difference.
  4. Backup Batteries: Eclipse moments are precious – ensure you have extra batteries for your camera, just in case.
  5. Timing is Everything: Be mindful of the eclipse's timing in your location. You wouldn't want to miss that perfect shot because you were off by a few minutes.
And most importantly, enjoy the experience! Watching an eclipse is about soaking in the wonder of the universe. Capture the memories, share your shots, and inspire others to join the celestial adventure. Best of luck on your eclipse photography journey

Back