• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED how often to you clean your heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
E

ebola

just curious as to how often people clean these things. i usually do it when i change parts on the computer which doesnt happen often enough.

i have a p1 200.. i just cleaned it the other day.. the dust was only a couple inches thick.. it still ran good..

i put some filters in intake holes on my new case.. so i dont think cleaning would be much of a problem.

All PC's gather dust differently and you should inspect and clean the dust out on regular basis when yours has enough that it warrents a good cleaning. I live with a Molucan Cockatoo and the dust is bad in my house so every 2 weeks a have to give mine a good cleaning.

I cleaned mine just yesterday (which was a chore, because i had to take the hs off VERY gently, due to a damaged processor) and it was full of dust! I cleaned it out real good w/ some paper towels and a LOT of alcohol. Then again, my sister and my mother both smoke like chimineys, so it probably needed it. If your house dosn't have a lot of dust, or people who smoke, you should be fine. Just give it a look every now and then.

i clean mine every once in a while. esp. the stupid blue orb i have. can anyone suggest something better than the blorb for vid cards and chipsets? blorb is ok, but i wonder how effective its cooling actually is. also, somehow i get dust gathering UNDER the heatsink, with some even getting near the core... now i know it gets in because those 4 black foam supports hold the heatsink up, but is that bad? i was worried it might ignite...

krakerman (Jun 10, 2001 11:23 p.m.):
i clean mine every once in a while. esp. the stupid blue orb i have. can anyone suggest something better than the blorb for vid cards and chipsets? YA I DONT LIKE THE BORB EITHER I CUT DOWN SOME LARGE CPU HSF's WITH A HACKSAW AND USED JB WELD ON ONE AND SUPER GLUE ON 4 CORNERS WITH THERMAL COMPOUND IN THE MIDDLE. THEY WORK GREAT AND MUCH COOLER THEN THE BORB blorb is ok, but i wonder how effective its cooling actually is. also, somehow i get dust gathering UNDER the heatsink, with some even getting near the core... now i know it gets in because those 4 black foam supports hold the heatsink up, but is that bad? i was worried it might ignite...

hmm nice idea ;-) might give that a whirl sometime (just need some spare time and someone with tools ;-) )

krakerman (Jun 10, 2001 11:23 p.m.):
. also, somehow i get dust gathering UNDER the heatsink, with some even getting near the core... now i know it gets in because those 4 black foam supports hold the heatsink up, but is that bad? i was worried it might ignite...

And people wonder why thermal compounds turn brown around the edges of the CPU die? LOL~!

is there any way to prevent this from occuring? i have the fop38 heatsink if that matters. should i try just putting filters on fans etc?

Filter your intakes. Get a good vacuum and keep your home clean. If it were not for my computer, HiFi (records), radio gear and wife, I might be a slob. :d

I have all of those and I'm still a slob, or to be more politically correct, I am "organizationaly challenged". ;D

Hoot

I'm too lazy. Why clean it when it'll just get dirty again? :p j/k. I do vacuum it occasionally when I open the case up to add something or take something out. But that's just because the sight of it is somewhat disturbing.

but dont fan filters block a lot of the airflow???

or are you guys using aluminium mesh one's???

p5

Back