• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Burn-In properly an XP+ Cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Doors

Vesuvius Senior Ocer
I'm not very experienced about, but I've heared that I have to set the lowest FSB possible, 66Mhz I suppose, the highest VCore possible, and load @101% the Cpu :D but considering that the Shuttle AK35 can handle a VCore up tp 2.3v, which is the safe Vcore to use, and for how many days?

Thanks in advance for your support ;)

Adriano.

The theory is to use the lowest speed available with your BIOS and the highest vcore and run it as cool as you can get it. Here's an article written by an electronics engineer explaining the theory behind this.

so you have to burn it for weeks? how long do you guys normally spend for burn-in? a couple of hours? 24hrs? 48hrs?

Well, use Prime95 torture test w/ the 66fsb and stock multiplier, and I'm not sure about voltage. I find it dangerous to go 2.1v with water. I would try 2v or something.

Burn in at that speed for a week, then adjust back to an overclocked speed and keep burning in, for unlimited time (I would recommend another week w/ Prime95 Torturing, then you can switch to a program you may like such as: Seti or Folding, or continue with Torture Testing).

Yodums

sorry Yodums, when you say one week with Prime 95', you mean 24hrs per day non stop? or only a couple of hour per day?

Kato said:
sorry Yodums, when you say one week with Prime 95', you mean 24hrs per day non stop? or only a couple of hour per day?

I mean like the whole 24 hours x 7 days. Its a burn in and it shouldn't be stopped in between.

so is sacrificing chickens to the o/c gods, but it works...you know, in some countries, blasphemy like that will get you flogged with a mouse cord within an inch of your life? serious...:D

Thank you very much guys ;)
this is really very interesting! but has anyone tried? and with which results? and is it possible a more fast burn in process? :rolleyes: yes I know, this last question probably is stupid, but isn't very simple for me a stop of one week....:eh?:

Adriano.

The Doors said:
Many thanks Yodums, I'll try really soon ;)

No problem. Although theres no reason to use all out Prime or something, if you wish you can use something more contribute perhaps, SETI or Folding.

The only reason I recommend Prime95 Torture Testing because its very stressful, but very boring to watch :D

At the moment I'm using Stock FSB (133Mhz), a VCore of 1.95v and UD Folding Project to use the Cpu @full load, what do you think about?

AudiMan said:
Is it bad to OC right off the bat?

Not at all. Just that some people don't get what they want right out of a box, and to break in the CPU, they burn in and eventually get what they want.

Like I mean would you eventually get higher overclocks if you "burn it in properly" or overclock it as soon as you get the CPU. and roughly how much of a diff would you notice?
20? 50? 75 mhz?

Back