• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to lock folder in win2k / winXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that can be done if you have NTFS partition

1. Go to folder options

2. From Tools -> Folder Options -> View Uncheck Use Simple File Sharing (Recomended) its checked by default (you can find the setting right at the end.

3. Right click on your NTFS parition / folder you want to protect

4. Click on Properties -> Security

5. You see a list of users which are granted different rights

6. Add / Remove modify user's and their rights

For instance there is a folder Temp on your NTFS partition C: which you want that only you can browse, than follow the procedure i stated above, in the user's list remove everyone and add your user account only, that should do

If in case you manage to screw things (like i did :D) than you can fix that easily, i managed to get myself locked out of my files, the way out is to take owner ship

The following procedure is only in case you manage to lock yourself and can't access the files

1. Follow the same procedure above and go to security settings

2. Click on Advance

3. Go to Owner

4. Click the lil check box down which says Replace owner on subcontainer and objects

5. Press Apply

you will get ownership of the files

In case you have FAT32 partition

Than the only solution which comes to my mind would be using some 3rd party software like Folder Guard Pro or something, you can get such softwares from www.download.com

hope that helps

Last edited:
Another option is Hide Folders XP. This will work under Xp. I'm not sure about Windows 2000. But I have used it myself under XP. Works good.

you can still access the hidden folders if you know the exact path both from explorer or from command prompt

dragon did that worked for you??

I get ya, Uhhh There is some folder encryption proggy's out there. I used to use one, I can't remember the name right off of my head though. Here is a link for a 30 day trial with Cryptomite http://www.baxbex.com/cryptomite.html ... This will work with XP. Give it a shot. If you like it, Buy it

you know a funny thing happened with me, i had to take my computer to university for a exhibition thingie so i was very much concerned about people peeping my data, so i installed folder guard (along with standard bios and windows password, NTFS drivers protection etc) windows starts and message pop's up

Your copy of folder guard is unregistered do you want to disable the protection or something like that and i was like WTF what's the use of a software if it gives others option of disabling lol

No that wasn't bad .. bad was that at that particular moment i was talking to a class mate of mine and i was bragging to her how secure my system was lol :D

Reminds me of the time that my cousin was amazed by the speed of my computer. "Intel P3 733" 128mb of Pc133 Ram. Win98 SE. Was awhile back. But Still I was all bragging about it and all. I was like check how fast this bad boy is. He was like WOW, Very nice machine you have there. Then I opened IE. THE ATTACK OF THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I was like oh. That is just due to electrical problems. Then I rebooted and all was good :-\ ..

hey talking of "moments" Bill Gates faced once in launching of Windows where it crashed in front of everyone, now is that a rumor or truth?? i would love to see some links on that :D

Back