• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Mod your X850 PRO -> XT w/ 16 pipes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is awesome, waiting for my x850 pro to come, should be here on friday.

Awesome guide.

To determine if your ATI card is capable of unlocking the extra 4 pipes, you need of course the ATI Tool to determine both your Die and Substrate Fuse configurations. Once done, this is what they should display in order to determine whether your card can be moldable to 16 pipes:

CONFIG_DIE_FUSES:xxxxFxxx
CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES:xxxxxxxF

Whereby ‘F’ denotes 16 pipe capable within the Config Die Fuse, whilst the ‘F’ denotes “NOT Laser Cut” within the substrate fuse.

Given BOTH: your card is moddable for 16 pipes with a simple bios flash :)

Wait a minute, nVidia's own site lists the X850PRO as having "Up to 16 Pipelines"....are you guys saying it doesn't have 16 Pipelines stock?

mine said the same thing, and on the side of the box of my bba pro is said X850Xt on the white sticker. I think that all the new cards and not the older ones are all gonna be 16 pipe flashable since there making just the same card and putting different heatsinks on them + different bios's.

CompUSA has x850pros for sale for $229 now (online and at some stores depending on inventory) until ~this Saturday. Mine's in transit atm.

--Just hoping it will unlock.. :rolleyes:

Hey Grumperfish, were you able to unlock all 16 pipes on your X850 Pro card? I just need and update because I got one on the way and would also love to unlock all 16 pipes. Keep us posted and informed. Thanks.

No, after checking ATItool I found out that the config substrate fuses list has an E rather than an F, and it won't flash. I'm not willing to risk killing the card with a hardmod and I'm too lazy to attempt returning it (ordered online), so I just slapped a zalman cooler on it with some ceramique. When I took off the stock cooler I confirmed that it's laser-cut. It oc's pretty nicely though, so I can't complain coming from a 9800pro.

Well thanks for the update. Too bad your card wasn't able to get unlocked. I hope my card will be able to get flashed, but if it doesn't; too bad.

Hold shift and click on the settings tab. The fuse info will appear under your core/mem-clock counts.

pw1388 said:
im ordering my X850Pro from MicroCenter. do u think this card can be unlocked?

Link

There's no way to tell. You will have to just try it yourself and see if it's possible. I'm also waiting for my X850 Pro so I can test it out and see if mine is unlockable. Hey Demighost, I'm not sure how to check that info either with ATI tool, until I get my card. Maybe someone here might be able to elightened you here.

Cooling

Wanting to be prepared! If I flash and overclock my ATI RADEON X850 Pro AGP card and need better after market cooling to handle the temps - what are my best options for cooling?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

W/C would be best, but for air:

ZALMAN VF700-CU with ramsinks would be ideal, while the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 Revision 2 is good too.

EDIT: The Iceberg 5 is a cooler cooler too afaik.

Last edited:
I bought mine yesterday at Best Buy. Serial # 18053xxxxxxx. Flashed to the PE bios but the 4 extra pipes did NOT unlock. Did show PE speeds on core and memory. ATI Overdrive showed up as well in Catalyst.

If there is anything else please ask.

Back