• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to remove heatsink/fan off a video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

mark

what is the best way to remove it? I have heard stick it in the freezer (in a bag or something) for a few mins
I will be getting my geforce 2 mx 400 probably in about 12 hours.
I would like to lap it and slap on some arctic silver adhesive to it.
whh hoo
Also is arctic silver adhesive just like normal arctic silver?
like using a very small layer of it?

Another method I've heard about is to let it (the GF2 MX) run till it's hot and toasty and then quickly *twist* the HSF off the GPU with a screwdriver as a lever. You can try the freezer method and twist it off too. Another way is to carefully slice at the interface of the HSF and the GPU until the thermal tape or adhesive they used is loose enough.

also how do i remove the old goop off the heatsink and chip?
I have used nail polish remover before on soft/newer stuff. but this stuff seems really hard.

When removing the heatsink off my GeForce2 I just rotated clockwise and counterclockwise using gentle pressure. It popped off after about a minute.

The goop was removed with a paper towel and a shot of wd-40.

What i did was do what that dude say let it heat up. Then i used a butter knife to pop it off this was on a Cl geforce pro ddr

But before you do it make sure you got one to put back on. Cause i didn't made a mental mistake. So I order some that articsliver thermal adhesive an gonnaa stick some heatsink on it.

Richard999 (Jul 27, 2001 05:37 a.m.):
When removing the heatsink off my GeForce2 I just rotated clockwise and counterclockwise using gentle pressure. It popped off after about a minute.

wd 40 certainly works, but is also leaves quite a bit of residue behind. Use Acetone(Nail Polish Remover). it gets rid of the stuff and it will evaporate off.

i have posted lots at that time, unfortunately I had no internet early this morning so i just watched a movie, went to bed, got up, and looked to see what I had missed.

Yep, I forgot to mention that the surface should then be cleaned with acetone or alcohol. The WD-40 just removes the heavy stuff easily.

I use it to clean the gunk off my rims. :) The stuff is amazing.

William (Jul 27, 2001 03:37 p.m.):
Richard999 (Jul 27, 2001 05:37 a.m.):

wd 40 certainly works, but is also leaves quite a bit of residue behind. Use Acetone(Nail Polish Remover). it gets rid of the stuff and it will evaporate off.

Don't use nailpolish remover, it contains oils to keep your nails from drying out. Just go down to your local hardware store any get some acetone, that stuff will remove most anything ....

****WOOOHOOOOO MY FIRST POST !!!!!****

you haerd right, put it in a bag, freeze it for a few minutes then take out and put a flat headed screw driver under it and leaver it off

All I did on my GeForce2 herc and G3 cards was genlty rock the HSF like you are gonna pull it off. I rocked it back and forth and both of mine came off very easily and quickly in about 15 seconds. The stuff may be hard but it isn't an adhesive or you wouldn't have pins holding the HSF on the PCB.

i have a vision tek geforce 2 gts ddr 32, i pried off the original heat sink/fan with a butter knife, and re-epoxied a beefier one, and it worked great.

I removed the gigantor hs from my Radeon LE with an old credit card and a flat head screwdriver. I waited until the video card was nice and toasty. I shut down the system took the card out quickly and stuck the credit card between the hs and the gpu. Then I inserted the screwdriver between the hs and the credit card and gave it a little push. It just popped right off.

earth, that's a good idea, the cc will protect the chip i guess

Back