• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove the drive motor from old SCSI drives .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
OK this is a odd question.

I have a lot of old early/mid 90s SCSI hdds that are bad. I use the platters for making a custom Bronze containing copper, aluminum, nickel and platinum.

I ran into a road block with the old SCSI drives. The drive motor built into the platters and not the frame of the drive.
The drive motors look like this
http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/headcrash-sml.jpg
From what I found there is a special tool that goes into the 6 notches on the motor that removes platters.

Dose anyone know what that tool is? or of anther way to remove the platters. I tired to gam a screw driver down the notches but that did not work.

I'll post some photos of the drives tonight. But they look just like the one in the photo I posted.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there releases down in those slots that have to be depressed simultaneously, or does it just unscrew? If they're releases maybe try cutting up an old set of feeler gauges to fit in them. If they just hold the engaging parts of a spanner, a pair of tweezers might do it, using a small screwdriver as a lever to turn the tweezers.

Back