• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to repair a Storage HD w/NTFS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randyman...

Hello,

I recently dismantled my PC down to the bare case to do a HSF upgrade (SLK947U), and to add another exahust fan and intake/HD fan (6 Fans total).

I re-installed the components as they were previously, and one of my Maxtor 160Gig ATA133's is coming up as "The disk is either in an unrecognizable file format, or the filesystem is corrupted or missing".

I don't know if I zapped it with static, or if it somehow got close to a magnet or what? Don't know What The Deal IS!!!

I had the drive previously labeled as "160Gig 2", but now it lists as "Local Drive G:".

In the Disk Management, the drive shows a "Healthy" status (odd), but I can not do scandisk or de-frag (De-Frag doesn't even see the drive). It will let me get to the Scandisk page, and I click "OK" and it doesn't do anything. Even with the "Fix Filesystem erors automatically" checked, nothing.

How can I try to repair the filesystem on this storage HD that I can not get into w/Windows XP? I tried searching for "NTFS Corruption" but only had replies for an OS drive and "Recovery Console" which I DON'T need (My OS drive is fine, as are the other 3 storage HD's).

I could likely get around it if it was FAT32, but I am at a loss with NTFS and limited DOS/Boot Disk compatibilty. Is NTFSDOS what I need, or what? I'm lost!

I do have a B/U of the important WAVE multitrack files, but the mixes I made in Nuendo are NOT saved, and it will take 2-3 Days to re-mix this project! Help!

Thanks for any help :cool: OC Forums ROCKS THE CASBAH!

Have you tried renaming the disk to 160gig 2 or did the drive letter change?

Have you tried mounting the drive under Linux to see if it's still readable? If you don't have a copy of Linux you can use the System Rescue CD Live CD. To mount your drive do the following commands:
Code:
cd /mnt
mkdir mntpnt
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntpnt

The "hda1" part is the linux code for the first parition on the master HDD on the primary IDE bus. If you wanted the second partition on the same drive you'd use "hda2", if you wanted the first parition slave drive on the primary IDE bus you'd use "hdb1", and so on.

I did try to rename the drive, but it Windows claims anything I type is "not a valid volume label"... I didn't try changing the drive letter.

I have dealt with Linux only 1 time - when upgrading mt TiVo to 144 Hours! The drive in question is currently on the Promise running in IDE mode, as a slave on the Pri_Raid port. What would that be in Linux (what drive designation?)?

I could move it to the Pri IDE bus (I did try to see if I could access it there, but I got the same error on any bus), and use "dev1" to be safe...

I'll give it a shot tonight after work (1AM)...

NTFSDOS wouldn't be of any use here? Just curious, as I am not familiar with it.

Thanks! :cool:

I still haven't tried it yet (work is killing me!), but if Linux DOES see the drive properly, what then?

Thanx! :cool:

Have you tried using chkdsk from the command prompt or using the recovery console?It is possible that all your data is recoverable and the drive may just have a few errors.I have had to use the repair install function to get to the recovery console and run chkdsk on a storage disk before when all attempts to read a disk were useless.

I will try BOTH of your suggestions on my next day off (9 days at work :( ).

I have not tried Recovery Console, but I thought that was for OS issues? I know how to get into the Recovery Console, but I have no clue what to do once I need to type prompts for anything to actually happen (I'm a prompt duummy)...

Thanks, doodes! :cool:

At the prompt you can type in dir for directory and it will list the commands as __.exe.type in chkdsk /? for the switches you can use. I think that I use chkdsk C: / x /r. The C would be replaced by G: for that drive. I would also run chkdsk on c: as well.Good luck.

Thx! :cool: I'm off on Thursday/Friday. I'll post findings then. You guys are so cool!

I tried the Linux CD, and it locks up saying something about "Safe Area is =>1" or something?

I was able to get into the Recovery Console. I can enter G:, BUT there is no directory info, and "CHKDSK G: /p" gives me "The drive appears to have one or more unrepairable errors" (or simular)... Also tried "FIXMBR" and "FIXDIR" with no luck...

Any chance of me fixing it, or should I just go ahead and re-format it, and start my mix from scratch? Like I mentioned, I DO have the WAVE files that are important, just not the "Mix Data" that is time consuming, but not impossible to redo...

I'll wait until Friday sometime, and I will probably go ahead and re-format - UNLESS you guys can think of something else that is free and not beyond my limited "Prompting Skills"....

Thanks again. At least now I KNOW how to use basic functions of the Recovery Console! I'm learning all kinds of useable info around here!

:cool:

Sorry to hear the news.you might try this website for some other recovery tools.I haven't tried them myself before but you may be able to get the WAV files.

I decided to eat my losses, and reformat the drive...

Not the end of the world. You can bet I'm gonna save my mixes to another HD and back-up to CD-R/DVD-R after any amount of time spent on them! I learned my lesson.

Later :cool:

I have problems like this and I can usually get the data back by using a recovery tool from Runtime software. Getdataback for NTFS. It was free on some computer magazine and works great.

Back