• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Softmod your x800PRO into an x800XT-PE.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update on my situation. i flashed it with the empty.bin and then back to my original. this put it back at 12 pipes and it seems to be back to normal. still wanna try to get the 16 pipes then pencil mod and see what i get.

Thats great to hear xslash. I would bet that your overclock with 12 pipes will yield more performance than what you will get with a lower clock with 16 pipes. If you are going to try the pencil mod, do it before you flash to 16 pipes so you can get a good comparison.

ok will do i should be getting a multimeter here in the next few days and then i just gotta find that 2b pencil at staples or somewhere. other than staples do yall know of a place that carries them?

xslashpract said:
ok will do i should be getting a multimeter here in the next few days and then i just gotta find that 2b pencil at staples or somewhere. other than staples do yall know of a place that carries them?

I just used a standard pencil when I tried my mod. It worked without an issue, but dang it got warm under the stock cooler ;)

So I've poked around a couple other forums and am not sure what to try next. The only people I've run into that have had the same problems are telling me that the card is a paper weight now. I can still boot to DOS and access the MoBo's BIOS, so the card is functioning at some level. :bang head Can anyone take a look at posts #758 & 762 and give me some suggestions on where to go from here?

Something to note: Prior to attempting the Softmod I was having problems with the card crashing whenever I'd run any apps using 3D graphics, so the card may have been a piece of junk anyway. I figured I had little to lose going into this, so I have no qualms about trying to RMA the card. (I had hoped that the XTPE bios might make the card a little more stable with the added bonus of being faster.)

At this point I don't know if the softmod caused the problems or if the problems kept the softmod from working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i did the pencil mod and everything went fine got it to 1.45 no sweat. but i cant boot windows. it goes all the way to the windows loading screen then right after it restarts. i can boot safemode and if i uninstall my drivers in safe mode and then restart it works fine. should i erase the pencil mod cause to me that seems like a weird problem to have just by upping the voltage

UPDATE: i erased the pencil markings. im back at stock voltage and it works fine now. i can boot into windows with drivers no sweat

Last edited:
xslashpract said:
i did the pencil mod and everything went fine got it to 1.45 no sweat. but i cant boot windows. it goes all the way to the windows loading screen then right after it restarts. i can boot safemode and if i uninstall my drivers in safe mode and then restart it works fine. should i erase the pencil mod cause to me that seems like a weird problem to have just by upping the voltage

UPDATE: i erased the pencil markings. im back at stock voltage and it works fine now. i can boot into windows with drivers no sweat

Probably got a little to warm. I know I had issues running higher voltage long term due to heat.

dcarr1971 said:
Something to note: Prior to attempting the Softmod I was having problems with the card crashing whenever I'd run any apps using 3D graphics, so the card may have been a piece of junk anyway. I figured I had little to lose going into this, so I have no qualms about trying to RMA the card. (I had hoped that the XTPE bios might make the card a little more stable with the added bonus of being faster.)

At this point I don't know if the softmod caused the problems or if the problems kept the softmod from working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Something like that. If it was having issues prior to modding it, I'd say the card was at fault as long as it was at stock and not OC'ed. Giving it a go with the modded bios might not of been the smartest thing to do but hey, if the card was already screwed up its not like its going to harm it anymore then it was.

As for RMAing it now, guess thats a toss up for me. I mean the card was previously causing issues so I'd say RMAing wasn't your fault, so I'd say RMA that and make sure the new card can handle the speeds and all prior to flashing it. Or just be a crazy man and flash it asap when ya get a new one. I know I was, flashed it within 30 seconds of getting the computer powered up hehe.

how much heat more heat should i expect? with load my card doesn't break 51c. didn't think the higher voltage would push that much farther

A good estimate, while not exact, is new vcore^2 / stock vcore^2 * overclock / stock clock * stock heat = total new heat.

xslashpract said:
how much heat more heat should i expect? with load my card doesn't break 51c. didn't think the higher voltage would push that much farther

I'd use LabRat23's figure below. I never new what my card ran with just stock pipes/clock but under my OC load it got into the mid 70's most of the time with the stock cooler. About 82C is where it decides to crash FYI.

Close. You applied it directly to temps which would work only if you calculate degrees above ambient. The equation will find heat output which would then be used to find your temps. Assuming a case temp of 25C, your original degrees above ambient was 26.

So 1.45^2/1.39^2 * 1 * 26 = 28 degrees over ambient. Therefore your load temp should be 53C. Thats a mild overvolt, so it makes sense that you would get only a couple of degrees hotter.

just an update i know its been a while but i got my overclock back at 12 pipes. actually its better than it was before at 550 580 but i did put on a x850xt cooler that my buddy wasn't using.

Trying to make 2 BOOTABLE CD with appropraite files.

Hi Everyone

Failure in making 2 BOOTABLE CD's with appropraite files.

I read up until page 9 then couldn't wait to read the whole thing (FRIGGIN LONG READ) also I couldn't find the appropriate answer.

I DO not have a floppy disc a:\ drive, so I need to make some 2 bootable CD's with the approrpate files for this mod. What I have done so far was make 2 NERO bootable CD's with the approprate downloaded files on them as instructed, also using ATItools to drop my bios onto the second CD. They both booted up DOS, but when I went to type the first Gigabyte command line in it "Unvalid Command"ed my in the face and therefore I couldn't begin the first soft pipe mod! :bang head

Can someone instruct me how to make some "Workable" bootable cd's?

I have an HIS Ati x800Pro VIVI with 1.6 DDR. Does anyone know the voltage of this thing? Has anyone had thier HIS x800pro go the full x800XT PE path as instructed?

Your pal. Johnny.

Last edited:
Back