• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how'd this system do in HL2, Doom3, etc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jotolicious

I am not JoT
well using this system:

xp1700+ @ stock
512mb (2x256) PC2100
r9600np

i'm wondering what kind of performance to expect in games with an upgrade to A64.

so say i upgrade to:

s939 3000+ @ stock
512mb PC3200
6600GT

resolution, FPS, etc...? primarily interested in playing HL2 @ at least 1024x768 w/high settings and stuff. also wondering how'd the A64 system would most likely do in F.E.A.R and some of the new games on the horizon.

Doom 3 ran on my current computer @ 640x480 w/ medium settings and got a tad choppy in heavy firefights. how would D3 do w/ the A64 system approximately?

thanks... just want to make sure a new system will be worth it in terms of real life gaming performance :santa2:

oh yes one more thing, upgrading which component of the A64 system would yield the best results for games?

Last edited:
well,
hl2 you could push 1280x1024 all high no/limited eye candy (1024x768 all high w/ eye candy)
same goes for cs:s
don't know about doom3, i can run it at 1024x768 all high setting no eye candy.
these figures are based off of my rig, and your video card should be better than mine in most games:
A64 winnie @2.5
9800p
1gb ram
good luck
-kkat

Your cpu at stock will be the bottleneck in everything as it is only 1.8Ghz. You can get that to 2.2Ghz without even trying though. That would help a lot.

hmm well im running my system (see sig) at 1280x1024 4x 8x and it runs avg of 60 fps outdoors and tops out at about 90 indoors... so i bet u could run ur system at at leats 1280 easily

ok just did some research and i think i'd get the X800XL over the 6600GT. that would help alot no? :)

and about getting to 2.2ghz no problem, would that be possible w/ "value ram" like the corsair or the mushkin PC3200?

with a64's you don't need the ram to reach high speeds, since you can use memory:htt ratios (5:6, 2:3, 1:2, and more with some boards) to keep the memory at stable speeds while the cpu's speed gets higher and higer. though it'd be nice to have the ram going faster, a 2.2ghz system with the ram running 5:6 will be quite a bit faster than the same system running 1.8ghz with the ram 1:1, and in both cases the memory will be at 200mhz.

the x800xl will do better in most games and worse in some. i'd say the x800 will do better in the future given its extra pipelines, but with the money you save getting a 6600gt you can upgrade again sooner. also, you can get a better overclock out of the 6600gt than the x800xl. just imho of course, heck i'm using a gf4mx right now.

a64's are nice , i play css @ 4/8 in game every setting as high as possible , lowest fps i see is 70 , highest is like 250

yeha said:
with a64's you don't need the ram to reach high speeds, since you can use memory:htt ratios (5:6, 2:3, 1:2, and more with some boards) to keep the memory at stable speeds while the cpu's speed gets higher and higer. though it'd be nice to have the ram going faster, a 2.2ghz system with the ram running 5:6 will be quite a bit faster than the same system running 1.8ghz with the ram 1:1, and in both cases the memory will be at 200mhz.

cool. yeah i don't know anything about overclocking, i tried reading the guides, but they just confused me :eh?:

2.2ghz w/the 3000+ is do-able with the stock HSF right?

I would think 2.2 is ok wiht the stock hsf , im using the stock hsf @ 2.6 , just changed the fan on it

2.2 is more than easy with the stock setup, I would still get the 6600gt, isn;t it like 100 dollars cheaper than the ATi?

tytlyf said:
2.2 is more than easy with the stock setup, I would still get the 6600gt, isn;t it like 100 dollars cheaper than the ATi?

yeah about. not worth it you think?

Back