• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's 'bout some glass?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpongeySponge

Registered
Okaaay....I want to build me a clear case. I was going to do glass or Lexan. The thing about Lexan is it's somewhat flimsy, good for case windows and such, but for building an entire case? Nuh uh. Unless I could find some feeakin' thick stuff, but that could get pricey. So I'm thinkin more on the glass side of it now. It's not TOO expensive. It doesn't scratch like Lexan either...but it does shatter, but I'm not too worried about that. You think there would be anything wrong with using glass? Heat or anything? I dunno...It just sounded better than the case I'm tearing apart now. Any ideas?

I think glass would be far too fragile to build a case out of. 'specially if you're gunna move it around (like to LAN parties or something)

ive seen a stained glass case before. The trick is to be CAREFUL with it. If you don't do anything that will break it, then it won't get broken.....heh, I guess that includes moving it around, lol.

I would build a glass case, and then a plexiglass case case so it dont get broken, lol.

Was about to say tempered glass .. idea stealing telepath! lol ... some thick tempered glass should not break easily...

You could use those cool metal poles with the notches for glass and make a case that looks like a cabinent thingy.(does anyone have the slightest clue what i am talking about)

Yeah, I'm thinkin about going with the tempered glass, since it seems to be the best thing so far. And no, I'm not sure what you're talkin about cabinet things. :p

Polycarbonate is anything BUT flimsy if you use the right thickness. 1/4" sheets would bend unless you're talking about a sheet that 4 feet long and has 50 pounds of pressure applied to it.

It's not very difficult to get sheets in varying thicknesses from local plastic suppliers and it would be far easier (and safer) to work with than glass would.

The median price for building a full size clear polycarbonate case out of one 48" x 48" x 1/4" sheet would be $70-$90 (depending on your supplier)

Wonderboy said:
What about weight, i know tempered glass is pretty heavy. Especially if you are making a whole case out of it.
Maybe he LIKES lifting weights (ones capable of shattering too) on a regular basis. :D

But with glass....it doesn't scratch. That's what I mainly had issues with. And the thicker the stuff is the more expensive it is...and I'm poor!

Back