• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

howto disable speedstep on P4-M ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

I've never seen my new P4-M 2.3Ghz HP notebook running faster than 1.1 or 1.6Ghz, even when running on AC power?! How can I completely disable speedstep? There's no tab for it under power options and I can't find anything in BIOS setup. I just want this thing to run full speed all the time! (OS is WinXPpro SP1)

It should be in add/remove programs, if I remember correctly. Uninstalling it will disable it completely, though there may be an option through HP's cnfiguration settings(not that familiar with the HPs).

Ehmm, I can't open that link. Says something about 'must have 100 posts to view this forum' and I am logged in?!

Tebore said:
I know you guys out there own laptops and for new laptop owners you like to know how to keep your baby spanking new.

Well for cleaning the screen I suggest using only water (best would be distilled). Some cleaners can be really harsh to the screen and cause it to fog. The best thing to do is to not touch the screen, the oils on your fingers are really hard to clean and is acidic. Clean dust off with a dust free cloth that is antistatic.

Battery most laptops within the last 1-2 years have been using Lion batteries, Lithium chosen because it is a light weight metal. The best thing to do is the keep the batteries fully charged if your going to be using your laptop daily. Top up charges actually does the battery good. Lion has no memory affect, letting the battery drain completely on a regular basis is a bad thing. There are rumors that completely draining the battery every 6 months or so is a good idea. To store lithium ion batteries use them to about 40% and then store at a room temperature of 15 degrees Celsius.

For people with older laptops and people who want to get more battery life out of their laptops without dropping too much cash and weight in to the laptop should look in to getting as much ram as the system can hold or you can afford. Ram can help increase the battery life by allowing the system to power down the harddrive more often because it doesn't have to go to the swap file or access the drive more often. This will in turn allow the harddrive to enter it's power saving mode more often. Loading a computer with ram like with a desktop is a good idea, it gives the system more resources to work with.

More power saving tips: In device manager make sure all your devices have a check in the place that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." This option is under power management in the properties for your specific device. Disable any device you don't use often like a parallel port if you have a USB printer.

Defrag early defrag often. Defragging is free performance booster as most of you know, but it can also extend battery life. Defragging put files closer together thus saving your harddrive head from having to jump from place to place to open one program/file.

For people with AMD powered laptops make sure PowerNow! is used. For Win XP:Get SP1 then go to device manager under processor, right click on you processor eg "mobile AMD Athlon XP1800+" and click update driver. Hit next>next> finish. The lastest driver can be found here
To adjust the CPU speed in Win XP:
Home/Office Desktop:
Portable /Laptop: AC=Full speed /battery: Auto
Presentation: AC=Auto /Battery: Slowest
Always On: AC=Full Speed /Battery: Full Speed
Minimal Power Management: AC=Auto /Battery: Auto
Maximum Battery: AC=Slowest /Battery:Slowest
To control the CPU speed in AMD CPUs in pre XP OSes
here's the link

Well I hope that helps some people with their laptops. Feel free to add more infact please add more tips for laptop users.

Well, it's now quoted :D

I already tried all that, but I still get a max. of 1.6Ghz according to WinXPpro. I just downloaded a progyy called 'sswitchxp' that's supposed to let you set the CPU speed so I'll give that a try...

Back