• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC Quad-Core??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subverb

I had to scrap my i7 dreams due to money problems so I'm thinking a cheap alternative and a fun project to finally build would be a HTPC for my 40" 1080p Samsung that I have in my bedroom. I would want to load Blu-Rays on there and also use it as a PC (no games) on the large display with a wireless keyboard and mouse. So my thinking was I could grab a Q8200 for $255 after $20 MIR with an EVGA GeForce 9300 HDMI motherboard and have a nice little quad-core machine. This could then encode movies and ripped discs if I needed it too and not rely on my laptop which is what I currently have here in Miami.

Would do you people think?

wait for the intel price drops, and get a S cpu... go with a DFI P45-JR board instead with add-in video...

I would be ordering in May around my birthday when cash flow is at a maximum, so I expect price changes between now and then.

What do you mean S cpu?

That motherboard is a bit pricey (if this is the one you're talking about) and I'm thinking ATX would be nice for the expansion slots (audio, tuner, Wi-Fi, etc). Is GeForce 9400 important over GeForce 9300?

I don't expect this segment to change dramatically between now and May hence planning now, plus my inexperience with HTPCs.

EDIT: This will not be overclocked at all. Please don't recommend based on clocking a quad or something.

Last edited:
not even sure why you consider a nv based board that is atx with onboard video....i mean your better off with a addin card over onboard...if your just looking to keep heat down inside the case onboard is the way to go... but with a HTPC i tend to think smaller not bigger like atx...its up to you but that deal my not be around when you are able to buy... i would keep looking at your options first... the price cuts will happen around april 19th
http://www.pcworld.com/article/161647/new_intel_processors_and_price_drops_coming_soon.html

You make it sound like the HDMI wouldn't be enough to play 1080p content from the HTPC on my TV. I wanted the HDMI for both audio and video to manage only one cable.

Outside of playing HD movies/tv shows the system would be used for some web browsing, youtube, aka very basic stuff graphically. I just am trying to keep costs down as well.

The ATX/Micro ATX isn't set in stone, I mean I haven't really thought about how many I need depending what gets added in terms of tuners and such.

Back on topic with regard to the idea of a Q8200 in the system?

It appears the S to be a 65W version of the 95W Q8200, the only difference I assume is with temps. Would that matter in the HTPC at stock voltages/speeds? Thought it should be fine at stock levels.

well with HDMI your assuming the NV9300/9400 can pass audio thru the HDMI connection...last time i read about NV9300/9400 onboard it couldnt, unless im thinking of the old onboard video...it either case its not the cable the can handle the 1080p but the onboard...i only suggest the the add-in cause the 9400GT is stronger then the 9400 on the board... even though both are the same name the onboard has less SP's...

as for a quad core then no for that basic of usage.. a dual core is more fitting, running a quad would just be using more power for nothing...

Back