• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hydor L30 vs. Mag 3 vs. Eheim 1250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Upon further research, the Mag 3 might be too loud for me. I might opt for the L35 instead. Anyone have experience with both? It's a $10 difference.

Bios24 said:
Upon further research, the Mag 3 might be too loud for me. I might opt for the L35 instead. Anyone have experience with both? It's a $10 difference.

mag 3 is not loud..
i run 21dba panaflos and i can't hear it. Now without the padding, i can hear it so just make sure u put some padding under it (almost anything works, i've even tried a tube of toothpaste).
The extra 4ft of head is well worth the $10 might i say.

Cyrix_2k said:
Dunno 'bout the L35 impellor, but the L30 II impellor DOES work in the L30 I.

L35 works in the L30II

L30II (mine) did not have a ceramic shaft. It wasn't a user error, the impeller was seated correctly, but there was too much wiggle. Every time it would start up you could here a rattle and it would settle out. After about 3 weeks time the plastic hole that the shaft went through on the impeller wore and looked like the outline of the figure 8, and it would rattle very badly. The L35 corrects this. There is a thread with some nice close up pics of the change in the impeller design. Not everyone's L30 had the problem as there was pobably less wiggle, but I've read enough about the problem and made sure mine was also seated perfectly to see what was causing the problem.

i was in your situation not so long ago...

The Eheim was very tempting just because of the brand and reputation for quality... the mag 3 was appealing because of its performance to price... and the L30 was just new, seemed good, but no long-term feedback on it...

I opted for the Mag 3 despite the word on the street about a leaky impeller housing, and possibly a cracked inlet...

I had no problems with it for quite some time, I recently switched cases and i was cursed with the common leak problem... its VERY EASY to fix. If i were to buy one new, I'd goop it up right away, it only takes a few minutes to apply, and then just let it cure. I noticed it leaking and ran down to home depot, bought some JB-Kwik, took it apart and smacked some of that goop on there and let it dry overnight, voila, no more leaking.

As for the possibility of cracking the inlet... just put a hose clamp around it, and use a plastic fitting for the inlet. As for noise, it does vibrate quite a bit, i put a piece of foam in the bottom of my case and it absorbs all of it, its VERY QUIET when the vibrations are limited and the air is out of it. All in all, I'm still very happy with it, despite the issues I've had. Just take greater caution at first, and avoid a bigger mess later.

Ri0 said:
L30II (mine) did not have a ceramic shaft. It wasn't a user error, the impeller was seated correctly, but there was too much wiggle. Every time it would start up you could here a rattle and it would settle out.
Question out of curiosity: did you glue the impeller to the magnet ? Because i'm on my 2nd shaft (first one burnt out due to user error - i let the pump on without water overnight, error during bleeding) and this one has lasted for 4 years now, without a hint of rattle. The first one was good too before i destroyed it ;)

Ri0 said:
L35 works in the L30II

L30II (mine) did not have a ceramic shaft. It wasn't a user error, the impeller was seated correctly, but there was too much wiggle. Every time it would start up you could here a rattle and it would settle out. After about 3 weeks time the plastic hole that the shaft went through on the impeller wore and looked like the outline of the figure 8, and it would rattle very badly. The L35 corrects this.
How do you know the L35 shaft works in the L30s? Thorilan said he thought it would work, but wasn't sure.

It doesn't have a ceramic shaft!?!? I thought for sure the L30 II's had ceramic shafts...

Your "wiggle" problem is the same problem I'm having. I thought this was only an issuse with the L30 I.

How did you seat your impellor? On the L30/L35, you insert the impellor into the front of the housing, (the part that has the O ring on it) then insert the whole assembly into the main body of the pump.

Also, make sure the pump doesn't run dry or have massive amounts of air running through it when bleeding your system. This is how I killed my L30...

Question out of curiosity: did you glue the impeller to the magnet ? Because i'm on my 2nd shaft (first one burnt out due to user error - i let the pump on without water overnight, error during bleeding) and this one has lasted for 4 years now, without a hint of rattle. The first one was good too before i destroyed it

Cool. Where did you get the new impellor? I'm trying to locate one for under $15... Guess I should e-mail Hydor sometime...

From hydor
The L35 uses a unidirectional impeller and the new motor assembly used 19W. The L30 II uses a bidirectional impeller and the motor uses 27W. I do not believe the impellers are interchangeable due to the redesigned motor on the L35

Cyrix_2k said:
Cool. Where did you get the new impellor? I'm trying to locate one for under $15... Guess I should e-mail Hydor sometime...
Got mine for around 12€. But it live 50km away from Italy.. guess that helps ;) Got my pump, round Eheim elbows (just *great* for routing tubes), and replacement parts at a local pet shop that's specialized in aquariums.

SureFoot said:
Got mine for around 12€. But it live 50km away from Italy.. guess that helps ;) Got my pump, round Eheim elbows (just *great* for routing tubes), and replacement parts at a local pet shop that's specialized in aquariums.
Cool. I'll have to check my pet shop "fire house pets" sometime. Problem is they're only open during normal work hours and I don't have a drivers license. (I'm 15 years old. Close, but no cigar)

I have the Hydor L30 and would pick it all over again. In July it will be its 1 yr. anniversart with me. Its been running strong and hasnt ever given my and problems (*knock on wood*) yet. The pump has been turned off and on atleast 25 times. (not alot) I keep it running 24/7 even if/when the computer is off.

Just a note to other people: If your L30 starts rattling, DO NOT KEEP RUNNING IT. My pump appears to have died last night after rattling for approx. 1 month. The best part is that it did quiet down over the past few days; it wasn't silent, but it wasn't nearly as loud as it had been. I flipped my surge protector on and off and the pump didn't come on so it either died or it's jammed. Either way it DID turn off when my computer was still running :eek: Also, the body of the pump is VERY hot, so I guess the motor's still good, but the impellor's dead.?.? Time to go see how much damage was done to my system...

Cyrix_2k said:
Just a note to other people: If your L30 starts rattling, DO NOT KEEP RUNNING IT. My pump appears to have died last night after rattling for approx. 1 month. The best part is that it did quiet down over the past few days; it wasn't silent, but it wasn't nearly as loud as it had been. I flipped my surge protector on and off and the pump didn't come on so it either died or it's jammed. Either way it DID turn off when my computer was still running :eek: Also, the body of the pump is VERY hot, so I guess the motor's still good, but the impellor's dead.?.? Time to go see how much damage was done to my system...

Your problem is exactly what I described earlier. it looks like the L35 shaft will NOT fit in the L30s. I got my new shaft from DD where I ordered the pump. Call the place where you ordered it and if they won't send you a new one call Hydor and they should send you a replacement. I'm telling you that some of the impellers and shafts have less wiggle and run fine, but those of us who get the ones that have wiggle will slowly wear the hole in the impeller and begin to spin unbalanced and rattle. All you need is a new impeller/shaft as long as you didn't ruin anything else. I replaced the impeller today and it runs perfectly silent again and I am going to sell it in the classifieds.

Last edited:
That's good news to me. Luckily nothing was damaged and the pump turned of due to a power failure. However, the pump doesn't want to turn back on so I'm going to order a new impellor and see if that fixes my problem. BTW, It's scary how fast temps go up if your computer's on, but you have no pump... I booted into the bios and the temps went from 30c to 40c in about 30 seconds. I turned my computer off after that to prevent damage.

Does anyone know what I can buy the Hydor L35 in the US? The only place that I have seen this is at Danger Den but I know I can get it somewhere else for cheaper. Thanks.

I'll assume that it can be, but make sure that you specify that it needs to run on US power when you buy it. If you need confirmation e-mail hydor or talk to thorilan.

Korndog said:
mag 3 is not loud..
i run 21dba panaflos and i can't hear it. Now without the padding, i can hear it so just make sure u put some padding under it (almost anything works, i've even tried a tube of toothpaste).

i'd have to disagree with that, I have 2 Eheim 1250's and 1 mag 3, needless to say the mag 3 is sitting in the closet and the Eheim's are the ones in my 2 computers as the mag 3 was unaceptably loud.

Haha, My pump appears to be OK afterall. I just pulled the pump apart and reseated teh impellor. It appears to have fixed my problem. Still loud as sh*t, but atleast it works.

Thanks for the reply shiltz, I have heard the Mag 3 is a good pump, but not the quietest. I'll probably pass on it.

So does anyone have the L35? It's a bit cheaper than the Eheim, but is it quiet? It seems like the L25/30 has been pretty buggy, and the L35 is a good step forward, but if I'm going to buy a pump, I'd like to know it'll last.

Back