• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I finally bade it through my first 2 WU's............

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glasslicker

I finally made it through my first 2 WU's............

without managing to screw anything up. Woohoo ! According to my overall rank, I am 303452 of 536694 ! At this rate I should pass Niksub1 by some time tonight ! :D

Ended up running the 5.04 Beta as suggested off the Stanford site. I even had to restart my home PC one time last night. Once fired up, I restarted FOH and my unfinished WU picked right up where it left off.

Working on 1808's.

I'm going to set up a third this weekend, then start with my pile of P-3's at work. I 'll save the P4s and the NB until new work rig gets here. Ill do that one last.

I don't have a farm yet, but I do have a row planted !

Everyone here has been awesome. Many thanks to all of you for helping me get started.

Last edited:
Wont set more up until this weekend. Im trying to go slow to make sure I don't start crashing work PC's.

I have more questions than answers, but still attempting to ingest all of this. Unfortunately, I am one of those hard headed people that has to read, try it out, screw something up, read again, then finally apply the information correctly. In effect, my retention stinks.

After blowing up the GX520 at work and the 540 at home with the G client, all has gone well after installing the 5.04 beta.

I am now trying to figure out how to install the 5.04 beta on the GX520 to use the second cpu. I still havent figured it out. It's weird right now. I believe it's using both at 50% capacity. Without a couple of units run under my belt to compare times, I cant really tell.

If anyone is running 5.04 on a DC, please let me know how you DL'd it twice because I am obviously too stupid to figure it out.

I know that on a Dual Core, in the FAH client config file, -where your
User name and Team are, it'll say "machineid=1"....

on one make it machineid=2

that way you have 2 instances running, but with different id's.
#1 & #2

That's why both are running @ 50% - they both currently have machineid=1

there is more on this somewhere here in the threads you can get more info.

Anybody got a linky?

I'll let ya pick my brian when we hook up too. :p

Congrats on the WU's too !

What name do you fold under?
:attn:

WarriorII said:
I know that on a Dual Core, in the FAH client config file, -where your
User name and Team are, it'll say "machineid=1"....

on one make it machineid=2

that way you have 2 instances running, but with different id's.
#1 & #2

That's why both are running @ 50% - they both currently have machineid=1

there is more on this somewhere here in the threads you can get more info.

Anybody got a linky?

I'll let ya pick my brian when we hook up too. :p

Congrats on the WU's too !

What name do you fold under?
:attn:

I dont see two different config files. I think I just have one. Will check it when I get in this morning.

I'll take the link if anyone knows where it is. I did some searches with no luck thus far.

Frosty adult beverage on me if you like when we get together. Heck I'll bring something to write with !

I fold under "glasslicker(www.overclockers.com)" of course !

glasslicker said:
I dont see two different config files. I think I just have one. Will check it when I get in this morning.

I'll take the link if anyone knows where it is. I did some searches with no luck thus far.

Frosty adult beverage on me if you like when we get together. Heck I'll bring something to write with !

I fold under "glasslicker(www.overclockers.com)" of course !

You need 2 FAH directories. On my dual cpu box, I have a FAH1 and a FAH2 directory. Each needs a copy of the client, and the client.cfg. Edit one of the client.cfg files to say "machineid=2" and leave the other at default. Then just run each client.

edit: Are you running this as a service? if you are just executing the console, you should create a shortcut to it, so you can add flags such as -forceasm and -verbosity 9

dwschoon said:
You need 2 FAH directories. On my dual cpu box, I have a FAH1 and a FAH2 directory. Each needs a copy of the client, and the client.cfg. Edit one of the client.cfg files to say "machineid=2" and leave the other at default. Then just run each client.

edit: Are you running this as a service? if you are just executing the console, you should create a shortcut to it, so you can add flags such as -forceasm and -verbosity 9

That's my problem, I dont know how to do this without causing a mess of some kind. Trying to figure it out. All of this PC stuff is really new to me so be gentle.

glasslicker said:
That's my problem, I dont know how to do this without causing a mess of some kind. Trying to figure it out. All of this PC stuff is really new to me so be gentle.

The easiest thing to do is to copy the console and client.cfg files from you fah directory, then creat another directory(fah2) and paste the files inside. Edit the 2nd client.cfg file to say"machineid=2". Then you can run both clients at the same time. This is the only way to use up all the resources on a dual core/dual cpu box. I cant help with which flags to use, since I only know about intel.

I know you can run what ever flags you like really.

One set for / with advmethods & the other without.

Or run one set up for QMD's (when they come back) & the other for TT's
(timeless tinkers) if you'd like.

For the production, and points, I believe most peeps go for
w/advmethods and bigpackets=yes on both clients.

WarriorII said:
I know you can run what ever flags you like really.

One set for / with advmethods & the other without.

Or run one set up for QMD's (when they come back) & the other for TT's
(timeless tinkers) if you'd like.

For the production, and points, I believe most peeps go for
w/advmethods and bigpackets=yes on both clients.

isnt this comp a mac though? sorry, but i dont know what a gx520 is.

dwschoon said:
isnt this comp a mac though? sorry, but i dont know what a gx520 is.

it's a dell :D And honestly it didn't blow up, did it? It just didn't work with the graphical client?

glasslicker said:

we will figure it out. For the dual core, did you install Wedo's one-click for a dual cpu computer? btw, do you live in NH or VT? i'd be happy to drive to you and help you out with all this, I totally understand how it can be confusing.

veryhumid said:
it's a dell :D And honestly it didn't blow up, did it? It just didn't work with the graphical client?

we will figure it out. For the dual core, did you install Wedo's one-click for a dual cpu computer? btw, do you live in NH or VT? i'd be happy to drive to you and help you out with all this, I totally understand how it can be confusing.

That makes much more sense now. Maybe someone should edit the config files for the duellie one click application, then email it to glasslicker.

Driving from New Hampshire ? You are either a saint, or poking fun of me ! lol

Alright, I kind of have some of this figured out. I'll tell you what I think I know.

According to the System Hardware screen on the Dell GX520, it shows 2 P4's at 3 ghz. so this isn't DC, which makes it what, SMP ?

A file search turned up 4 clint.cfg files. This is what I did:

CPU 1 is running it's second 1808 on 5.04 beta. No problem there.

CPU 2. I went in to another client.cfg file (FAH2 from a failed Wedo one click install) which is actually 5.02. I fired it up and changed the Machine id to 2. As soon as I did that, the BBA5 I was working on the other day showed up (60% complete) and CPU # 2 is now gnawing on it. When I pull up Task Manager, both P4's are now at 100% versus the 50% yesterday.

So to summararize:

P4 # 1 5.04 Beta
P4 # 2 5.02

It's working and no failures so far but as an ignorant newcomer, I feel like I just used duct tape and bailing wire on my PC. :D

That works.

Eventially, you'll prolly want to change both to the 504.

Just to have them both on the same sheet of music.

a couple of other things to watch ... wedo's 1 click should have done it for you on the services but you should make sure each service's console's flag contain the -local flag. It won't hurt anything, and helps if you have or had the gui console installed. If you set up any shortcuts so you can run in the foreground (after stopping the service for that directory) it is good practice to include the -local flag. My normal flags are -local -verbosity 9 -forceasm -advmethods. Advmethods is a flag with v 5.02 of the console, but a client.cfg parm with 5.04.

You may not want advmethods on work rigs in the event DGromacs or QMD's are around as they are more resource intensive. Getting DGromacs may be ok, but if QMD's start flowing, most corp users don't want them on their rigs.

Also, if you copied the client.cfg from the gui console's directory, it contains a field userid=xxxxxx. You should delete this line if it is there. This problem never arises if you stay away from the graphical client (5.03). It can result in 2 instances folding the same WU, and you only get points for 1. After you delete the userid, the console will generate a new unique id for that folding instance.

glasslicker said:
Driving from New Hampshire ? You are either a saint, or poking fun of me ! lol

well i can't see your location. your might want to add it to your profile. if you we're too far i'd come by and clear up all the questions, and make sure you know how things work, what does what, etc. :D

glasslicker said:
According to the System Hardware screen on the Dell GX520, it shows 2 P4's at 3 ghz. so this isn't DC, which makes it what, SMP ?

A file search turned up 4 clint.cfg files. This is what I did:

CPU 1 is running it's second 1808 on 5.04 beta. No problem there.

CPU 2. I went in to another client.cfg file (FAH2 from a failed Wedo one click install) which is actually 5.02. I fired it up and changed the Machine id to 2. As soon as I did that, the BBA5 I was working on the other day showed up (60% complete) and CPU # 2 is now gnawing on it. When I pull up Task Manager, both P4's are now at 100% versus the 50% yesterday.

So to summararize:

P4 # 1 5.04 Beta
P4 # 2 5.02

It's working and no failures so far but as an ignorant newcomer, I feel like I just used duct tape and bailing wire on my PC. :D

Yes, it is SMP. however the duallie one-click installer is the same one you want to use on Dual core and on SMP. How many consoles are you running right now? you can check the list in your task manager for them.

veryhumid said:
well i can't see your location. your might want to add it to your profile. if you we're too far i'd come by and clear up all the questions, and make sure you know how things work, what does what, etc. :D

Yes, it is SMP. however the duallie one-click installer is the same one you want to use on Dual core and on SMP. How many consoles are you running right now? you can check the list in your task manager for them.

Under processes, I have FAH502Console and FAH504Console running. Then a FAH.exe.

What scares me is the comments made above regarding getting a repeating WU. The home PC was gnawing on a second 1808. :shrug:

How do I find my individual console ID#'s for each machine to ensure I don't have xxxxxx?

Last edited:
The userid will display in the fahlog.txt in each directory that you have a folding instance running in. It dispays at the startup of that instance's console in it fahlog.txt.

From what your post says, it sounds like you have 3 instances running. Do you also have 3 FahCore_xx.exe's showing in task manager, processes? (click on the "image name" column title to sort them by name).

And just to make sure i understand the rig's current state, are you running them as services? (ie. in the background with nothing showing on the windows taskbar on the bottom of the screen?)

Back