• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got a P4 2.4GHz C1- PART 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
chop said:
I would RMA the chip. I had a 2.8 that wouldn't go over 150 fsb (which is a pretty good overclock) so I sent it back and bought a new one. Granted, it cost me 15%, but the new chip is a monster. The only thing stopping me from getting to 3500 (+) is cooling and higher voltage. It runs very stable at 164 fsb, but runs a bit hot.

RMA should only be used to return defective products. Not being able to OC high enough does not qualify.

Oops thats a tad worrying!

Ive just bought a 2.66 (c1) and an IT7 max2.. will let u know my results at the weekend

Checksum

Far be it from me to doubt your OC skills, but I took my B0 2.40B to 166 fsb / 3.0 GHz in less than 30 minutes, using a medium-powered air cooler (Zalman 6500), and at 1.65V vcore.

Things I did:
1. lock pci and agp at 33/66
2. run the ram at Low Strap, 3:4, 444 MHz, 2-6-3-3
3. give the ram a little boost of o.1 V

And that is all.

I think you need to look elsewhere, for the cause of the problem. I don't think it's the cpu.

pvanosta said:
Far be it from me to doubt your OC skills, but I took my B0 2.40B to 166 fsb / 3.0 GHz in less than 30 minutes, using a medium-powered air cooler (Zalman 6500), and at 1.65V vcore.

Things I did:
1. lock pci and agp at 33/66
2. run the ram at Low Strap, 3:4, 444 MHz, 2-6-3-3
3. give the ram a little boost of o.1 V

And that is all.

I think you need to look elsewhere, for the cause of the problem. I don't think it's the cpu.

I do agree that you have to eliminate all other potential issues, but the CPU just may be he guilty party. There are certainly instances where the CPU is maxed out.

FIZZ3 said:

RMA should only be used to return defective products. Not being able to OC high enough does not qualify.

The penalties are well defined by the vendors and the buyer is responsible for any additional cost associated with there particular RMA. If you are unhappy with a particular product, you have the right to return it.

FIZZ3 said:
I've seen the voltage increase do little to nothing on P4NW's before...
There certainly appears to be a point of diminishing returns, based on my own experience and what I've heard from others...

For my 1.6a;
1.5v = 2240
1.65v = 2408
1.75v = 2480
1.85v = 2511, unstable

For my C1 stepping Cele 2.0;
1.525v = 2660
1.55v = 3000
1.65v = 3100, semi-stable
1.75v = 3200, unstable

This is using stock HSF and good case cooling, no throttling.

Let me put all the questions to rest.. And I want to thank everyone for there replys.

I'm using the Asus P4PE Everything (I had the same results in a PB533 with my 2.66GHz CPU before I got the new board) I'm

I'm using a TNT 2 64 for the testing. not using the ATI 9700,

Yes my AGP/PCI clocks are locked at 66/33

My RAM can do up to 460MHz.. It's twinmos, PC3500 is a breeze and I did swap it for Samsung PC2100 and I got the same crappy results. And for the record I'm only running the memory at the lowest setting for testing. BELOW PC2700 or less..

My cooling is a Alpha Cooler with a 120mm 108CFM fan. No cooling issues for me.

I have a Enermax PSU 430w. All rails are high..

I'm tried everything.. I'm vertern who gotten 2 C1 duds.

I even tried a G4MX 440 with the same results.

And right now I can't even get 2.610GHz with default voltage.. My 2.26GHz cpu did 2.8GHz 100% stable with 1.75v.. I think that some C1's are total crap and only run at there rated speed. If anyone know anything please help.. with the money I've spent so far I could have bought a P4 3.06GHz CPU..F*CKing $hit..

have you tryed a higher vcore?

say 1.7v-1.75v?????

mica

PS...I live in brooklyn...PM me if you want to talk on the phone
I can't say I will help, but hey, you never know.

I started to hate C1's :p .. and overclocker456, you remind me of Hawkeye LOL! .. a dude that wanted 3ghz so badly ended up buying 20 chips or so!

PS. can you try to OC without your Radeon?

Man that sucks!

Sell that sucker on Ebay and buy another one.

I just got rid of my 1.8A, which went 100% stable to 2.4 GHz, but nothing higher. Sold it for $5 less than I paid for it 2 weeks earlier...

Not even you can get 3 bad ones in a row, LOL:p

pvanosta said:
Man that sucks!

Sell that sucker on Ebay and buy another one.

I just got rid of my 1.8A, which went 100% stable to 2.4 GHz, but nothing higher. Sold it for $5 less than I paid for it 2 weeks earlier...

Not even you can get 3 bad ones in a row, LOL:p

Oh yea...

hawkeye got at least 5 2.26 in a row that couldn't do 3.0ghz.:p

anyway, he's not using the 9700 as he said above.

mica

man
im sorry about yer misfortunes. But think of it this way overclocker, youre teachin ppl in the process of your failed cpus!

chop said:

The penalties are well defined by the vendors and the buyer is responsible for any additional cost associated with there particular RMA. If you are unhappy with a particular product, you have the right to return it.

Do you have a link to Intel somewhere where this is defined? I'd appreciate it.

Overclocker456 said:
Let me put all the questions to rest.. And I want to thank everyone for there replys.

I'm using the Asus P4PE Everything (I had the same results in a PB533 with my 2.66GHz CPU before I got the new board) I'm

My RAM can do up to 460MHz.. It's twinmos, PC3500 is a breeze and I did swap it for Samsung PC2100 and I got the same crappy results. And for the record I'm only running the memory at the lowest setting for testing. BELOW PC2700 or less..

And right now I can't even get 2.610GHz with default voltage.. My 2.26GHz cpu did 2.8GHz 100% stable with 1.75v.. I think that some C1's are total crap and only run at there rated speed. If anyone know anything please help.. with the money I've spent so far I could have bought a P4 3.06GHz CPU..F*CKing $hit..

You seem to have taken care of all hardware issues, but have you performed a fresh OS install at stock speed after you installed the CPU? It might make a difference.

I've also found that different versions of the chipset drivers have an impact!

Overclocker456 said:

@OVerclcokers456 - I think you nailed it right on head. Some C1s just are not good overclockers. As I mentioned before, I had a 2.8 that struggled to get above 3.0 and my new 2.8 doesn't bat an eye above 3.4(+). Same rig, same settings, same HW. Cooling is the only thing slowing me down from going higher.

FIZZ3 said:

Do you have a link to Intel somewhere where this is defined? I'd appreciate it.

Fortunately, I do not buy directly from Intel. My purchases are made from companies that allow up to 15 days to return any product. Broken or not. I do most of my shopping at Fry's Electronics so I have the option to return items I am not pleased with regardless of how they work. I'm not sure how all other (online or not) stores operate.

chop said:

I do most of my shopping at Fry's Electronics so I have the option to return items I am not pleased with regardless of how they work. I'm not sure how all other (online or not) stores operate.

Which Fry's (location) ?

Back