• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a video card that shuts off while the computer is still running

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joey_rjm5

I have an asus v6600 graphics card that shuts the video off while the computer is on. the computer, however, if I reformat and install it again it will last about two to three days without doing this, but after it shuts off the first time it increasingly shuts off sooner and sooner until I have to put another graphics card in. I have tried the card in two systems with two different power supplies and with a completely different setup it does the same thing i tried all the drivers I could find but that doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas. Please help.

How long have u had the card?

How long has it been doing this?

Can you take/send it back and get a new one?

Can you also list the components in the systems you tried it in?

I got it off ebay and I can never get in touch with asus' tech support. think they will still replace it

c366 @500
abit bp6
netgear ethernet
30 gig maxtor ata66
acer 2x cd burner
kenwood 62x
asus v6600 deluxe
awe 64 gold sound card

They might replace it, it depends on the warranty. I'm not familliar with Asus' warranty policies. Keep trying to get it touch with their tech support.
What about the guy you bought it from? Was it new? Used? Retail or OEM? Was it sold as-is? Did he give any indication that the card was fualty?

it sounds like APM in the bios, telling your video card to shut off in X amount of mins. Also could be conflicting Drivers. turn all your APM (Advanced Power Mangement) OFF. Also try cleanign teh contacts with Rubbing alcohol.

Blue Jester_2112 (Jun 07, 2001 06:56 a.m.):
They might replace it, it depends on the warranty. I'm not familliar with Asus' warranty policies. Keep trying to get it touch with their tech support.
What about the guy you bought it from? Was it new? Used? Retail or OEM? Was it sold as-is? Did he give any indication that the card was fualty?

The guy seemed to dissapear he never answered my e-mails. It's been about a year and a few months. I dont think the card was new when I bought it. maybe a couple months old. I'm never buying anything used off ebay unless it's at an unbelievable deal. I wonder if asus will help me out.

XtremeOC (Jun 07, 2001 11:38 a.m.):
it sounds like APM in the bios, telling your video card to shut off in X amount of mins. Also could be conflicting Drivers. turn all your APM (Advanced Power Mangement) OFF. Also try cleanign teh contacts with Rubbing alcohol.

Thanks for the advice I'll try it.

joey1639 (Jun 07, 2001 02:49 a.m.):
c366 @500
abit bp6
netgear ethernet
30 gig maxtor ata66
acer 2x cd burner (3 1/2 years old)
kenwood 62x
asus v6600 deluxe
awe 64 gold sound card

joey1639 (Jun 07, 2001 01:05 p.m.):

The guy seemed to dissapear he never answered my e-mails. It's been about a year and a few months. I dont think the card was new when I bought it. maybe a couple months old. I'm never buying anything used off ebay unless it's at an unbelievable deal. I wonder if asus will help me out.

it was retail

I talked to asus' tech support and they directed me to their rma department and they are going to fix it or replace it for me. Thanks for helping everyone.

joey1639 (Jun 07, 2001 01:05 p.m.):

Uhh...if you've had the card for a year and a few months it seems kind of ridiculous to expect the guy who sold it to you to handle the problems. I've sold quite a few things on Ebay and if some guy sends me an e-mail a year later and tells me "the X you sold me just died", I'd probably tell him tough luck. Not trying to be a jerk, but it's no longer his problem. It was obviously working fine when he sold it so he did so in good faith.

Regarding this problem, I have this same problem on my system. At first I thought it was just the video card turning off, while the system kept running. But I became aware that in fact the whole system also hard locks when the card turns off. The card is fine, this never happens in another machine. I'm almost 100% sure this is due to my motherboard. I have an Asus A7V133 and I'm thinking it must just be a bum board. I have another nearly identical comp with the same exact board, memory etc, and everything runs fine. But this PoS crashes all the time... Anyway, I'd suspect the board, not the card. Put the card in another machine and run with it for a few hours/days and see if it occurs there as well. If not, take that board and RMA it...

I'm with Nagorak, test it out before you rma it, it would suck to go all that time without your vid card just to find out that the problem was something else. I'm glad Asus is going to help you. I hope things work out well for you.

I have tested it in another motherboard. I said i tested it in a whole other system. i used my old Asus socket7 mobo with a k6-2 350 and it did the same thing. One other thing though. I haaad to bend a capacitor near the cpu to get my golden orb on. The system stll booted up though. Could that be the probem?

Back