• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have sinned [and I am a n00b]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
80% chance it is FoxConn as they are the ODMs for Dell and Gateway.

They aren't bad, but certainly not great. Definitely can't OC that machine though and I wouldn't trust that PSU to power a crossfire set up... I bet it is close to its maximum load with that 4850...

It's ok. Just ebay this machine and build one for a bit less yourself. Overclock it and your sins are forgiven.

The board is a real ATX standard.// I happen to have a ok unit waiting to install. I just have to get the ok to do it. If she makes the jump... Ican do my part and install it. there is a few things I will have to tinker past the Gateway. Some of the wiring is odd for the custom electronics on the case.

Yes, my 44 year old wife knows and wants crossfire. Since she found out on her own the board supports 12gigs of RAM.. I hope she don't just go order it. Yes, she also knows of newegg and how to shop....

Se understood when I told her the supplier screwed me. I could not get parts here in time and beat the OEM price. She loved the look of the case and so it was done.. Machine in a box.. She picked it actually...

did you at least slap enablingwolf? at least once? .... if you didnt you have sinned as well :beer:

He said he would drive to Ohio and slap me. If the machine got a second card installed. Might just do it to see if he does it.

:soda:

One thing I found out. Acer owns Gateway. Didn't realize it until I got a confirmation for registering the machine on the support site.

Regardless.... I am going freeking bonkers not being able to overclock that machine. Even though it is not my machine.

He said he would drive to Ohio and slap me. If the machine got a second card installed. Might just do it to see if he does it.

:soda:

One thing I found out. Acer owns Gateway. Didn't realize it until I got a confirmation for registering the machine on the support site.

Regardless.... I am going freeking bonkers not being able to overclock that machine. Even though it is not my machine.

Sir i have put gas in the neon and my keys are out.:bday:

i7 pad mods anyone :p

BREAK OUT THE WHITEPAPERS!!!

or buy an I7 board on newegg... and sell the gateway one on ebay! your wife will get her pretty case, and you will get to overclock... itsa win win!

i7 pad mods anyone :p

BREAK OUT THE WHITEPAPERS!!!

or buy an I7 board on newegg... and sell the gateway one on ebay! your wife will get her pretty case, and you will get to overclock... itsa win win!

i say strip the whole thing down for parts and buy a new case :p

First thing I would do would be to swap out the PSU if it looks dodgy.

Got to convince the wife I can solder the custom Gateway electric leads and that stuff. I am not fond of stock power supplies.

We really need an answer before you can be truly forgiven for your transgression.

The wife is a gamer. Plus I can encode on it when she is not around and such. It was her pick to get it not mine. I was trying to get her to grab a nice lappy. She wanted a gamers' machine.
Since the vendor failed me. I had no real option to beat her bday and have the machine not here. To partially make up for the ruining the surprise. I just told her. Pick what you want.
She likes the look of the case and the general features. Plus she knows I am not going to fiddle with it much.

As for, is my machine better or equal to her computer. My CPU list is in my sig. They all run Linux except the i7. In ways, my primary (favorite)machine is more powerful than hers.

if you can get the model # or pics of the inside of the psu you can post it up on jonny guru, and they can tell you what OEM it is

if you can get the model # or pics of the inside of the psu you can post it up on jonny guru, and they can tell you what OEM it is

I already know. :D

It is a LiteOn.
Which corresponds to:
Lite-On, Supermicro/Ablecom, some Foxconn

Oh, and it uses Samsung RAM.

Back