• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have some question about the Corsair AX1200 cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ASUS ROG

I have a Corsair AX1200 psu, the cable of that psu are black and now i want a white cable to mach my system, i found this on ncix.com

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70904

but it's too expensive, i also found this on AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/mod-smart-Kob...369172&sr=1-1&keywords=pcie+cable+8+pin+white

It is a lot cheaper, can i replace the cable from my AX1200 psu with this cable, i mean connect it straight from my psu to the video card and not through the 8 pin cable that come with my psu because that would be a lot of extra cable abd i don't have room to hide it in my case
Thank for your help.

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, I don't see a question. Are you asking if the second link is an extension cable? If so, yes it is.

It is an extension cable, so no, you cannot. If you want one that plugs directly into the power supply, you have a couple options: buy a kit (like in the first link), build your own cables, or pay someone to make custom cables. Building your own is the cheapest if you have the tools already, and continues to be cheaper later on if you need to remake the cables or make others.

I've built "a few" sets of cables, including a completely custom setup for an AX1200. So if you have any questions about making your own, I'd be happy to help out.

I would start by suggesting to not buy a kit. Generally, these are going to be a guess of what you need for materials with cheap tools. Bad combination.

Here are tools that I normally use while making cables (look around to get better prices, I'm just linking for clarity):
Pin crimper
Wire strippers
Scissors
Lighter - for heatshrink, I buy the "focused" type, not the normal ones
ATX pin extractor - this is the exact one I have
Molex pin extractor - this is the exact one I have
Soldering iron/solder - not required, but nice for certain situations
Electrical tape - for pushing multiple wires through sleeving
Multimeter - to verify that I got the pinouts right
Patience - not a lot of stores sell this, but you need a lot of it

For materials, I have a huge list made, but here is the general stuff:
Heatshrink
Sleeving - you will probably want a high density weave from Murdermod
Wire
Pins
Connectors
Zipties - I use these under the heatshrink for bigger bundles to make it secure

I think that is everything. To do this right, you are going to be spending quite a bit on the tools (about as much or more than the full pre-sleeved kit), but it allows you to make the cables however you want. It does take a bit of work, but I think it is worth it. Whether or not this is an option for you is something you need to decide. If you want to make your own because it is cheap, I'd seriously suggest buying the pre-sleeved kit. You can do this on the cheap, but your tools are going to be terrible and it is going to be frustrating. Not worth it.

The Corsair PSU's use a standard ATX pin to plug into the unit, which is extremely convenient.

Back